Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

silverlight/netflix error

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cjanderl

cjanderl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:01 PM

Whenever I get to the movie loading part of Netflix IE crashes. Foxfire says that the Silverlight plug-in has crashed. I have reinstalled IE, Foxfire and Silverlight and all Windows apps are current. Im running XP and currently IE 8.Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:23 AM

Contact Netflix support.

#3 nakuma

nakuma

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:54 AM

I have same problem and netflix says to uninstall silverlight then reinstall at the start of picking a movie to watch. I've been through this so many times now and for the first 4 or 5 times it worked now i have what's called a silverlight loop going. Very frustrating. Netflix said to try using foxfire instead of IE and siverlight would not even load there. Netflix gave me what I thought was a direct number to someone with silverlight and all I got was a microsoft recording of which none of the catagories that were offered was any help or even could address the problem. On another site when I googled the problem someone said they downloaded something called combofix at this site so I'm trying to find out about that. I really love being able to stream movies but this is getting ridiculous, if I can't find a solution I guess I'm going to cancel netflix. Anyone know how combofix works?

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:54 AM

Combofix is a specialized malware removal tool. You shouldn't try to use it yourself. You will have to keep trying Netflix support. It's their product and you should yell at them for trying to palm you off to Microsoft. Silverlight simply isn't common enough for anyone to know how to fix it.

#5 nakuma

nakuma

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

Thank You Frank 316, I thought combofix would be over my head, I just can't seem to get netflix to own up to their responsibility to see this through to a solution. I'll keep trying though, since I am disabled and live way out in the country; streaming movies is my favorite pastime. Thanks again.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:30 PM

I did a little Googling and what you might want to try is to completely uninstall Silverlight and then reinstall. The problem is it seems that Silverlight leaves traces when you try to unistall it via Add/Remove Programs. So it won't allow you to reinstall it. So try doing that with a useful program that a lot of us at BP use called Revo Uninstaller. You should be able to get rid of all traces of Silverlight and then reinstall.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

#7 nakuma

nakuma

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

Thanks again Frankp316. Today was the first day back on-line after finally receiving a new wireless router. I have downloaded the suggested tool. I'll check back in to let you know! Thank you for taking the time to help.

#8 nakuma

nakuma

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:22 PM

It worked!! Thank you frankp316,the program you suggested cleaned all the leftover silverlight from the previous partial removals and I was able to watch a movie today. I really enjoy being able to watch them so hope this is the last of the problems. I also cleaned out all the deleted files from the hard drive. I use a cleaner every time I'm on-line but I guess the files just sit there and take up space until you use a program like you suggested. Thanks again!!

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:10 AM

I'm glad it worked but if you're using a registry cleaner, you should stop using it as it could damage your system. The effectiveness of registry cleaners is one of those Windows myths that users have bought into and we try to educate users to stop using them. It's a computer version of snake oil.

#10 nakuma

nakuma

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:28 AM

Its called CCleaner, a free version that was installed by a computer pro who came to the house to work on all the laptops in the house. My daughter's, mine, and my granddaughter's. I have been using it for over a year; what kind of damage are we talking about, and how would I know if it's been happening? Should I stop using it and just use revo? I so appreciate the expertise you are sharing, I am 63 and though have had a computer for many years I still do not know much about them. I have grandchildren, horses and dogs that keep me busy so like my truck, I just expect the computer to work when I ask it to and I'm afraid I do not know enough to mantain it the way it should be. Your help is very much appreciated.

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:17 AM

CCleaner has several tools. The only thing I use it for is to automatically clean temp files, junk files and the recycle bin each time I boot up. TFC does the same thing but it doesn't do it automatically. If it did, I would dump CCleaner like a bad habit. At best registry cleaners are useless. At worst, you could damage your system. I know you can uninstall programs with CCleaner but I've never used that. I know Revo works so I use that.

#12 nakuma

nakuma

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

That's what I use it for too, at least that is what is brought up in the window as being deleted. I will take a better look at it though just in case. And thanks to you I now have Revo too for uninstall. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users