Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unbelievably slow desktop load times + extremely slow PC

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tangosmango

tangosmango

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

Earlier today, my PC went from being perfectly fine to being extremely slow. I had a hunch that it may have been a virus or some serious malware so I tried to open up Malware and Ad-aware but everything was 'not responding.'

I ended up powering off via holding button. When I tried to load up again, the PC loaded to the blue welcome screen, but from there, it just hanged. i could open task manager but I was unable to open file > new task or anything.

I was able to go into safemode and load up Malware and Ad-aware. I searched on the internet from my laptop about what could be causing this. I found that a virus named Nimda could be a culprit. I found a fix for it so I cancelled my scans and tried the fix, but it did not work.

So here I am, back in safemode, attempting to run the scans on 2 of my harddrives.

If this does not work, does anyone have any advice or insight?

Thanks, I appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tangosmango

tangosmango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:46 PM

I forgot to add that I actually left my computer to load (not safemode) and it ended up loading background, taskbar, icons, desktop icons...it took about 35min.

Even after this, I tried to open certain things like start menu or my computer, and it ended up taking 2-3min for each action.

Also, task manager shows very low CPU usage (about 1-2%) and about 20% physical memory usage.

My computer specs:
Win7 x64
Intel Core2 E7200
4 gigs of RAM
ATI HD4870

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

When you get done with the scans please post the logs.

Have you tried using the computer with the other hard drive unplugged from the sata and power?

#4 tangosmango

tangosmango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

Spybot just finished and found 30 items total. It removed 27 and the other 3 (facemoods) could not be removed cause they were in use. But it asked me to restart which I did but it was still doing the same thing.

Now, I am running Malware Bytes...Should take about 2hours.

Do you think it's Nimda virus? Nimda has the symptoms that the desktop just doesn't load but mine is loading, but very slowly.

I have not tried to unplug my other HD. I have two, one is 150GB (with windows) and other is 600GB (games, etc).

Edited by tangosmango, 28 July 2011 - 10:28 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

Can you post the report from Spybot, and Spybot could possibly slow down your computer.

#6 tangosmango

tangosmango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:26 PM

Can you post the report from Spybot, and Spybot could possibly slow down your computer.

Where would this text file be located? I already restarted after the scan was complete. Should I provide you with the text document for system startup?

The Malware Bytes scan is still running. It's at 273,000 objects scanned with 0 infections.

Edited by tangosmango, 28 July 2011 - 11:32 PM.

#7 tangosmango

tangosmango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:40 PM

Ok...

it just finished the scan of Malware Bytes...it found nothing!

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:01 AM

Should be under view reports in Spy Bot.

#9 tangosmango

tangosmango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:28 AM

Should be under view reports in Spy Bot.

I don't see the scan that found the 30 infected objects. i see one where I cancelled it before I made this thread though.

I just tried a System Restore to the 15th but the problem persists.

#10 tangosmango

tangosmango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

This problem was fixed with a 'Check disk!'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users