Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to copy only a portion of the registry?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CLWICLWOI

CLWICLWOI

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:39 PM

I am aware of the protocol for copying the entire registry (I am using Windows XP Home, SP3). However, I am wondering if I can copy just a portion of the registry tthat is relevant to only a single program. If it's possible, how do I accomplish this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:00 PM

It would be rather difficult to know what the program needs from the registry to work.

What is the issue that you are having?

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:04 AM

Hi -
Just to add to cryptodan, do you want to remove, or copy, or adjust a program (or part of it) .

Or do you have another computer with problems that needs something added / copied to it.

Thank You -

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:06 AM

You can export specific keys, but unless you know what they all are the answer to your question is no.

#5 CLWICLWOI

CLWICLWOI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

I have a very elderly program which I enjoy using from time to time and which came bundled with another program. The original disc from which it came was damaged some time ago, and the company that made it is no longer around (we checked when the original disc was damaged), so no way to get another copy.. Now I suspect that this program may be causing a problem, so I'd like to be able to delete it to see if the problem is resolved. However, if I delete the program, and that doesn't solve my problem, I'll have no way to reload the program, unless everything I need is in the file found in the program files (I planned to copy this file to a disc). If everything I'd need isn't in that program file, and I've deleted this fun little program with no way to get it back, I'll be really unhappy.. So I guess the real question would be: is it likely that everything I'd need to reload the program would be in that program file, or is there a high probability that there's something in the registry that I'd need? Alternatively, is there a way to "hide" the program without deleting it?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:19 PM

What program is it? I can help you try and find a copy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users