Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Randomly Restarts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 drew14385

drew14385

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:44 PM

I have been having problems with my HP zd7000 laptop randomly restarting, which it does at variable times. Sometimes it starts right back up and other times it may take up to 5 minutes. I have temperature monitoring software installed, which reports fairly average temperatures. Initially I thought this may be the problem since the laptop is larger than most (17"). I also have multiple antivirus programs, which have detected no major threats.

After reading other online posts I think it might be either a problem with Windows XP updates (mainly SP1), memory, power supply, or the motherboard. I have 512 MB RAM so I think that should be enough. Also, the computer runs when I take the battery out and use only the power cord.

One weird thing is that when it restarts if I try and disable the SP2 mousepad by pushing the button on my laptop it restarts again 9 times out of 10. I am stuck and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Drew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drew14385

drew14385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:03 PM

I should add that the software I run is avast antivirus, adaware, and registry mechanic. Only avast runs in real time. They aren't all true antivirus software, which would overlap and cause problems with each other such as a program like norton would.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:24 AM

Are you running more than one antivirus program at the same time?

Have you checked your Event Viewer for error messages? Go to Start...Run...Administrative Tools...Event Viewer. Left click on each of the categories in the left hand pane (Application, Security, System) - and then check in the right hand pane for error messages around the time of the restart.

Once you find them, right click on the error message and select "Properties". In the next window will be some information about the errors, please post it here so we can see what's going on.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 drew14385

drew14385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:08 PM

Sorry it took a while, but it didn't restart for a couple days. Just before restart (5 mins before) I got the following warning:

Warning - Event 4226
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

However, I also got this message earlier in the day and no restart occurred. Just after restart or during I got the following:

Information - Events 6005, 6009, 4201, 7035, and 7036.

Throughout the whole process I got no events that were recorded as errors. These were in the System tab, but no others tabs showed any relevant errors or even information either.

Also, I have the box unchecked that causes the computer to automatically restart during a computer failure, but no blue screen of death appears. Hopefully this helps. Thanks

Drew

#5 drew14385

drew14385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:35 AM

Also, I noticed that some of the messages in the even viewer are from the user: NT Authority/System, yet I am running XP. May this matter?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:45 PM

All the NT... stuff means is that it's a System process rather than the process for a particular user.

Since you're not getting any errors when it restarts, I'd suspect that this is a hardware issue that occurs below Windows' threshold to recognize it.

The next time that it restarts, immediately search for files created that day. This "may" lead to an error report that can give us some useful information.

Meanwhile, try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog. It may prompt you for your installation CD, so have it ready. If it does ask for the CD, visit Windows Update immediately afterward to ensure that it hasn't un-updated some of your updates.

Oh, in rereading the post, I just noticed the reference to the SP2 mousepad in your first post. Could you please explain this a bit more clearly? This may relate to the hardware problem that I'm thinking you have.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:30 PM

Check temperature. Overheating can cause restarts.

Depending on motherboard, Motherboard Monitor can give you info on processor and hard drive temps.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

#8 drew14385

drew14385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:35 PM

The mousepad on my laptop (an hp zd7000) is deemed the SP2. I rarely use it because I prefer a traditional mouse. It has a typical pad which you can use to move the mouse using your finger, the typical left and right mouse buttons, and a scroll bar. It also has a button just above it that will enable or disable use of the pad. Obviously I usually have it disabled since I don't use it and I often bump it when typing. But during these restarts if I push the button to disable the SP2 mouse the laptop restarts again. Typically this happens before the desktop loads, however I have had it happen up to 2 hours or so later. Last night I tried taping a piece of cardboard over it and just the pressure of my fingers on the cardboard pushed the enable/disable button down far enough to cause my computer to restart. However, it is very random because right now I can push the button and nothing happens.

Also, I ran sfc.exe/scannow and I don't think it fixed anything of which I am aware.

In regard to the second post about temperature, I have a temp. monitor installed which typically reads in the mid to high 30's (celsius) for the hard drive and typically slightly lower or the same for the system temperature. I tried installing motherboard monitor, but it does not work on this platform.

Thanks

Drew

#9 drew14385

drew14385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:38 PM

Just after my last post I decided to try pushing the mousepad button......the computer restarted!

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:39 AM

This sounds like a problem with the "SP2" mouse button to me. I'd have it checked by a technician. Be sure to backup all your data before doing this - I've heard many horror stories about folks promising to save your data - and then they didn't!

Just a funny story about that button to liven the day a bit:

I was flying back from Miami about a year ago, and the guy next to me had a laptop that he was working on. The stewardess noticed this, and asked him if he was good with computers - to which he replied "Yes!"

So, she brought out her laptop and showed us that the touchpad wouldn't work. She'd tried everything, and wasn't able to get it to function! So, he worked on it a bit. Being the nosy sort that I am, I started to help him out (it seems that I knew a bit more than he did about hardware).

Well, we spent most of the 3 hour flight trying to fix this thing. We removed and reinstalled drivers, ran SFC.EXE, checked all the settings in all the system applets, etc Finally, as we started our descent, he accidentally hit the button located above the touchpad. And, viola! the touchpad started to work!

Yep, we hadn't even thought to press that little button to turn the darned thing on! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users