Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infection gone: major problem remains

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 process8

process8

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

With the help of the wonderful people on this forum I was able to get rid of a virus.

But it wiped out most of my programs and I have tried "unhide" or at least I did a couple of months ago and it was of no help.

I run Windows XP with service pack 3. I still have the Windows install disk and the serial number and so on.

Can I run it again over what is remaining or the original Windows installation so I can at least get Windows Media Center back or will doing this cause problems elsewhere?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

Who helped you to rid the system of the infection?

Did you follow the information posted in this link: Link to MRL Section and Guide to start a new topic.

#3 process8

process8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

Who helped you to rid the system of the infection?

Did you follow the information posted in this link: Link to MRL Section and Guide to start a new topic.

Boopme was the person who helped me. And yes, I followed the instructions scrupulously, or at least I thought I did.

What I'm trying to find out is if I should just try to run a Windows XP install over what I have now.

What I need to know is if it by using the install disc, it will "fill in the blanks" of what is missing, but not overwrite what is working OK?

I don't have any system tools at all and would like to get them back among other things.

Should I be asking this in the Windows XP forum?

Thanks.

Edited by process8, 28 July 2011 - 09:49 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:49 PM

I checked your profile and topics that you have started, and nothing in the Malware Section.

#5 process8

process8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

I checked your profile and topics that you have started, and nothing in the Malware Section.

I'm confused.

What should I do starting now? (And I've been hunting around for the Windows XP install disk and can't find it. I'm beginning to think I never had it. (But I do have the Product Key number). I think it was pre-installed.

Anyway, here is a thread I was working on related to this. I can't figure out where it was posted.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic394138.html/page__p__2224395#entry2224395

Edited by process8, 28 July 2011 - 10:15 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:11 PM

Oh now I see, so you are left with an empty programs folder or the appearance of nothing in that folder?

Before you ran unhide, did you run any temp file cleaners?

#7 process8

process8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:15 PM

Oh now I see, so you are left with an empty programs folder or the appearance of nothing in that folder?

Before you ran unhide, did you run any temp file cleaners?

Very astute of you to ask. It hadn't occurred to me that I may have wiped them out completely and there is, in fact, nothing to "unhide."

So yes, instead of coming here and bothering you good folks with the initial "Windows XP Recovdery" bug, I did try to get rid of it myself. Now I think I deleted them completely.

I wish I could send you a screen shot so you could see what things look like but I don't know how. I'll try to describe it.

For example, when I open up "All Programs" and click on "Windows Media" it extends out and says "Utilities" and when I click on this extension, it goes out one further and it says (Empty).

Can you picture it?

Thanks.

Edited by process8, 28 July 2011 - 11:17 PM.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:04 AM

I know you ran some tools like TDSS, Malwarebytes, and others. But did you run any other tools prior to coming here like CCleaner or Disk Clean Up by Windows?

If you did the items that were moved to the temp folder could have been removed. This is stopping unhide from doing what it does.

My only advice would be to reinstall all those applications that show empty.

#9 process8

process8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:30 AM

I know you ran some tools like TDSS, Malwarebytes, and others. But did you run any other tools prior to coming here like CCleaner or Disk Clean Up by Windows?

If you did the items that were moved to the temp folder could have been removed. This is stopping unhide from doing what it does.

My only advice would be to reinstall all those applications that show empty.

I think this is what must have happened. I ran a few things before I came here and one of the programs probably shoved these programs into a Temp File and I deleted them. Damn, damn, damn, damn!!!!

But how do I do get them back?

I don't have the Windows XP installation disk. I looked on the back of the CPU and it's got a sticker with the Windows XP Product Code on it, so I guess it was pre-installed. No wonder I can't find the disk, huh?

Do I have to call Microsoft and give them the Product Key and they can tell me how to do it, maybe?

I mean it's a legit Windows XP Home Edition package and everything so I have no worries about that.

I guess there's just no simple way to get all the stuff back, is there?

Thanks for the help, by the way.

Edited by process8, 29 July 2011 - 12:35 AM.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:12 AM

What kind of computer is this, a lap top or a desktop? Brand and Model Number?

#11 process8

process8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:30 AM

What kind of computer is this, a lap top or a desktop? Brand and Model Number?

It's an older desktop, an Emachines T6212. It as always performed well for me.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:28 PM

There might be a certain key combo that you can press that will initiate the system restore process or by using the Disks that came with your computer. You may need to call eMachines to see if they can send you some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users