Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking Career Advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MidLifer

MidLifer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

I'm hoping some people here might be able to give me some advice on computer careers. I'm in my late 30's and considering a career change from architecture into IT. I honestly don't know a lot about the IT world, but from the research I've done I feel that possible avenues of interest for me might be DIS, systems analyst, infosec, health informatics or webmaster. My main reason for switching careers is that I'm looking for a profession that has high stability and job opportunities.

Here are my questions:

1) Are there certain areas of IT that are more stable than others? And is programming the only area facing a significant threat to overseas outsourcing?

2) Would entering the field in my early 40's be a major disadvantage? Is age discrimination a problem in IT?

3) What is the best route for education and training? I'm assuming I would need a bachelor's or masters, but is there a faster route that is still respected by employers, yet still pays very well?

4) What are the pro's and con's of IT careers?

Thanks in advance to those willing to take a few minutes and offer their advice.

Edited by Budapest, 03 August 2011 - 04:21 PM.
Moved from Introductions ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nichole Hudson

Nichole Hudson

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:36 AM

At the age of 30, it's very difficult to go to a college and attend a regular course. Since you are a trained architecture, so I would suggest you to go for an online degree program in IT, because it would not engage you only in studies. You can also work side ways, to earn some money, so as to meet the basic day to day needs.
There are many kinds of courses which can be completed online. One such course is computer technician degree courses. Many top ranked colleges offer online associate as well as bachelor's degree in computer technician. Nowadays there is a huge demand for computer techies all over the world which resulted into their high salaries. link removed. ~ OB

This course would give you an insight of software as well the hardware and networking as well, thus would touch every branch of IT. Then you can easily get a stable and high profile job.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 22 September 2011 - 11:12 AM.

Even in the dark a little star shines, so let each day be your masterpiece of light

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,110 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

Age has nothing to do with how well one can attend classes in a university. I started graduate school in my mid-30's, full time. I had many classmates older than I.

Online courses are certainly an option, and many universities and tech. schools offer them. Some people take a combination of in-class and on-line course work. These days, many in-class courses have on-line components. In part, it depends on how one learns best. I do better with face-to-face interaction.

I'd suggest finding out ratios of people getting jobs once graduating with the various kinds of certificates and degrees and from which institutions. It's always a good idea to include internships or similar as part of the training.

I'd also suggest looking at the kinds of IT jobs that are available and what kinds of education they require.

And of course, there is also the possibility of starting your own business whether in architecture OR in IT.

And here's a thought: perhaps you could combine the two and do architectural design on computer.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users