Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Urgent Help - Computer taken over by trojan while waiting for malware forum

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gabstercol

gabstercol

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:57 PM

With all due respect, this is Urgent now. Despite the fact that I caught this rootkit and came straight to you guys for help, I now find that I am losing the fight against this malware as I have sat and waited now for over a week and today my internet is failing and the malware has taken over the policies of the computer. Boopme was on the issue and then when we were really making progress he told me I had to continue with the Malware forum so he closed the other topic and sent me to them but nobody ever replied. He had me first disable the cd emulation software and I have not been able to do any back ups now and he said to wait. And that is where nobody has picked up the case and I am losing my computer. How can this be? I was so ahead of this but because he could not finish the task and now I'm so screwed and don't know what to do. I have been in touch with your support dept and have asked for help and even offered to pay and no benefit here. Boopme told me do not do anything else to fix it while I waited and today I can honestly say that each time I shut down the computer I have no clue if it will come back on. I saw in the event viewer that the malware has my system with numerous policy changes and objects accessing the computer. I've never seen this before. This started with a rootkit and I never got backed up because we were on it immediately after the infection happened. It has a shared task scheduler in hijack this that I have never seen before and I can't do any searches on the internet. It is redirecting in google every time and I do research so that has me screwed too. I need help. If you guys were not going to come back to me this is losing me the most important thing that I asked Boopme not to let happen is for me to be unable to back up or save anything and correct this. I never had someone start and then have me disable my ability to back up and then leave me without the help and allowing the malware to take over the system. When I told your support dept the problem he gave me the program hitman pro and I used it and it quarantined the trojan this morning but with it the internet DSL modem no longer worked where I was coming in at. I found another port on the router to go to just to get on the internet today to post this urgent request in the forum. I was not able to back up because of the cd emulation software that boopme shut down before I went to ask the malware forum for help. This is terrible. I work every day on this computer and it was working and progressing but now what do I do in limbo mode?

Please help. It's urgent now. thank you. Gabstercol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:17 PM

Hi gabstercol.

First things first: I can promise you that someone is going to respond to you. . . and I can assure you that you have not been overlooked; we have mechanisms in place to prevent that. The reality of the matter is that we have far fewer helpers than we do requests for help. We get about 40-50 new requests every day. The end result is a rather sizable backlog that takes some time for our team to work through. Keep in mind also that everyone here is a volunteer, and that they help out of the goodness of their hearts as their real life schedule allows. They each have families, jobs, and lives outside of Bleeping Computer.

New and more devious malware infections are released almost daily. It then takes time for our Team to to investigate, analyze and test removal techniques before we can help members like yourself. Doing that means that we sacrifice speed of response for a quality response that will help remove the malware more effectively.

Further, our malware removal staff is comprised of team members with various levels of skill and expertise to deal with thousands of malware variants, some more complex than others. Although we try to take DDS/HJT logs in order (starting with the oldest), it is often the skill level of the particular helper and sometimes the operating system that dictates which logs get selected first. Some infections are more complicated than others and require a higher skill level to remove. Without that skill level attempted removal could result in disastrous results. In other instances, the helper may not be familiar with the operating system that you are using, since they use another. In either case, you wouldn't want someone to assist you who is not familiar with your issue and attempt to fix it, would you?

I understand your desperation to have your computer fixed, but know that there are over 400 other people just like you waiting in line for help. . . some of whom have been waiting for more than two weeks. We'll get to you as soon as possible. . . that's all I can promise you.

I don't know how disabling CD emulation software prevents you from making backups. . . that shouldn't affect things at all. You are encouraged to back up your files and data beforehand. You can use a flash drive, or burn things to a CD.

When I told your support dept the problem he gave me the program hitman pro and I used it and it quarantined the trojan this morning but with it the internet DSL modem no longer worked where I was coming in at.

I'm afraid you've lost me here. Our support department?

~Blade
Forum Administrator

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 gabstercol

gabstercol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:27 AM

Thanks for your response and you know I understand you are busy with a long line before me but I never expected to be half way thru and then left in the middle. I caught this on the first day it hit me and we started with the effort so it wouldn't harm my computer but now it is all wrapped up in controlling it and it just got worse as we sat on it. If you weren't able to fix it then I would have gone to another company to do that. This waiting for over a week is a long wait. I use my computer all day for my business and I have financial info and critical data that is not good to lose the control of. I was really patient but they told me don't do anymore to fix it because it would change how your malware team would view it. So I just waited and it is much worse now. I couldn't get on the internet today with the same settings of the router and that is the first time that happened. I'm losing control of the browser to this trojan so how will I get help after I can't get on the internet. I think when we have already been started and then escalated to the next level then we should have a dept that will take those escalations. Because I waited before you guys took my case so it wasn't like I'm cutting in line. Because the trojan has already been identified and is persistent. When that was figured out it just was a sure doom if you didn't handle it. All kinds of policy changes are going on in the event viewer and they are not from what I am doing to the computer. I can't see how this ended up this way when I caught it immediately and before it did damage to my computer. I even offered to pay for the escalated service and no response. So this is the 2nd time that turning to bleeping computer became the downfall. Last time this happened I posted a new topic and 2 weeks later without any response I couldn't get on that computer ever again. I don't know how much longer it will last and what do I do now? :o

#4 gabstercol

gabstercol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:36 AM

Blade, the support dept you are wondering about is that I sent an email to support at bleeping computer dot com and someone responded back to me when your whole website was down the other night for maintenance. I thought it wasn't letting me back at your site so I sent an email to support at and one of the guys responded back to me. I have been communicating with them when I couldn't get any response after a week at the malware forum. Maybe boopme shouldn't have closed the case and then just escalated it and someone might have realized it was an escalation. Also you asked if I would want someone who doesn't know how to deal with this trojan helping me to fix it. And my response to that is that with the fabulous tools you guys have and the experience level you guys have I would trust all of you. You are the most capable group of guys with the right tools that even microsoft can't touch with a 10 ft pole. I trusted microsoft before to help me thru an issue with their pc saftety dept and they were stuck on stupid. They couldn't figure out what to do about a rootkit. but you guys are way past that and I would have worked with that person to get it resolved. I'm good with computers and I know my own computer and can be a great help to get it done fast and complete. I don't need a lot of coaching at it I just need the instruction and I can do it and get it done and post the log and then take the next step .... thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users