Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot pc/ Reboot and Select proper Boot device error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JustMyAlias

JustMyAlias

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

I have an old Dell Pentium desktop that runs Windows XP (Pro?) that has kept chugging along (for the most part) until recently.
I did at one point, re-format and re-partition(?) the hard drive. We have never installed anything (hardware) to the pc after market.
We just came back from vacation, and the computer will no longer boot up - it may have been in sleep or hibernate mode when we left - I can not be sure that it was shutdown (and likely not, since the printer is attached to this computer but metworked for all others...)

When I try to re-boot the computer
the Dell logo comes up and then
I receive an error:
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in slected Boot device

Earlier, I also tried to re-boot using an Ubuntu disk, without success.

I finally found the re-installation for this computer, and when I reboot from the Windows cd,
I get the option for set up or repair.
For either selection, I get an error: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Setup cannot continue...

If I reboot again, using F2 and go into Setup (and this is where it ALL looks Greek to me...)
I have 6 tab options - Main, Advanced, Security, Power, Boot and Exit.

Everything looks 'normal' to me on the Main page - except Memory Bank 0 is 'Not Installed'.
On Advanced, I have all the different configurations...
under IDE configuration - IDE Cntroller is set to BOTH
PCI IDE Bus Master is Enabled

Primary IDE Master & Slave - (both) Not Detected - I suspect from Googling - herein lies my problem...
Secondary IDE Master LITE-ON LTR-24102M
Secondary IDE Slave Not Detected

So am I done-for here?
Any responses need to be in simple layman's English....
thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

How old is this PC, and can you try the hard drive in another computer to see if its detected. I have had issues like this, and the cause was a bad cable. I went ahead and replaced it with a new one, and low and behold it detected the drive and booted up.

#3 JustMyAlias

JustMyAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

it is certainly old - 8-10 years??
I just read about the universal USB adapters?? Is this what I need to get?
I don't really know what I am looking for once I pull the casing off - I will try to Google something and see. If anything is bad - it
is all okay (I prob. wouldn't bother relacing or trying to fix anything) - and no really important files - but I do kinda forget what files and would like to recover them at least for convenience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users