Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluescreen Information

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 james1000

james1000

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

Hello,

I am using a Sony Vaio laptop with Windows XP. I have had a couple of bluescreens in the last week and want to check, if possible, what the cause might be. I have looked in the eventviewer but cannot seem to see any error messages around the time that they occurred.

Would someone be able to let me know how I can see this information and if it is possible from the message to get an idea of what may have caused these, such as a device like a specific USB dongle or other item. When the screen flashed briefly I think it mentioned something about 'caught in loop'.

I have scanned with AVG with no malware found.

Thanks for any help or feedback,
James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:47 PM

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

Additionally you could prevent that Blue Screen from flashing by so quickly by Right Clicking 'My Computer' select Properties, select the Advanced Tab & click on Settings under 'Startup and Recovery.' Uncheck the box for Automatically Restart under 'System Failure.'

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:50 AM

Yes, we're aware of that thank you. I'm trying to get a history of the bsod's.

#5 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

Perhaps I should have stated it, "In addition to installing BlueScreenView & posting its results, as recommended by Allan,....etc."

My post was only meant to inform James1000 of the setting which would allow him to Lock the BlueScreen in place. Not meant as an 'either do this or that' type option.

He certainly should post the history results of BlueScreenView regardless.

Apologies for any possible misunderstanding or the appearance of 'Taking Over.'

James1000 is in highly capable hands. Best wishes to you Allan.

SAW101

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:32 AM

No problem at all - it's just the bluescreen view will provide all the info needed. However, I always disable "restart on error" so I agree with you :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users