Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Start Up Problems

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pickajoe

Pickajoe

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:35 PM

I have moved back into the dorms and after i hooked my desktop back up I pressed the start button and the computer started but then shut off right after. I belive the graphics card fan is making a wird noise. please help me I want to play Counter Strike:Source!
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:17 PM

Hi Pickajoe,

Since this occured after a move, make a quick check inside your system. Make sure the processor heatsink is securely attached and all connections are secure. Check your ram and all adapters to make sure all is seated correctly. While you are in there, it won't hurt to blow out any dust that may be hangin around.

As always, be safe. Unplug the system and make sure you touch the case before touching any component.

Good luck...

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Pickajoe

Pickajoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:28 PM

Still nothing... i even took the case off of my graphics card and cheaked everything in there but it still shuts off. A few times I slightly heard a beeping noise which i think comes from the graphics card.

Edited by Pickajoe, 14 January 2006 - 05:29 PM.

Posted Image

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:31 PM

Describe the beep noise for me. Does it beep in pattern? (ex long long short long) Any flashing lights on keyboard or front of computer?

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:34 PM

Another thought... Take a look at you connection for the display, mouse, and keyboard. See if you have bent pins.

#6 Pickajoe

Pickajoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:37 PM

No bent pins all connections are good. And that beeping noise i heard a few times, it when like about three short beeps before it shut off.

Edited by Pickajoe, 14 January 2006 - 05:47 PM.

Posted Image

#7 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:14 PM

Three short beeps point to memory issues... but if the system cuts off, we may be hearing only a portion of the beep code. Try reseating your memory. Swap the order the memory stick are installed.

If nothing changes with that... unplug all drives (depending on how comfortable you are doing this you may want to "tag" each connector to remind you where everything plugs in). Also unplug any extra adapter cards you have with the exception of the video card. Anything change? Does it try to start now?

#8 Pickajoe

Pickajoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:29 PM

Ok I took out the RAM (I have 2 sticks of 256 and 1 stick of 512) and put them back in. then i restarted the computer and I lasted a little longer this time but still shut off.
Posted Image

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:01 PM

Try the single 512 stick or one of the 256 sticks.

Other than the move... has anything changed with the system? I take it everything was cool when you had it at home?

#10 Pickajoe

Pickajoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:06 PM

Tried it with 1 stick of 512 and 1 stick of 256 and got nothing. And yes the computer worked fine this morning although through out the christmas break the graphics card was making wired noises and i had to take the card out and put it back in for it to work right.
Posted Image

#11 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:17 PM

We have now tried everything I know to try. My best guess would be to suspect the graphics card. If it had a history of being unreliable, it may very well be the problem. Two thoughs here. Do you have someone close that would let you borrow a like video card? The other thought is to take it to a shop, or local computer guru at your university. They could try another card, before you buy something.

Good luck Pickajoe... wish we could have solved this more easily.

Rigel

PS..You may wish to check back... someone else on staff may read something I am missing.

#12 Pickajoe

Pickajoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:03 PM

Ok more news.. I took out the graphics card and the computer started just fine. so the problem is indeed the graphics card. But how and why is it messed up, all i did was move my computer to another place. Anyways is there anyway to figure out what is wrong my graphics card.
Posted Image

#13 Pickajoe

Pickajoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:14 PM

GREAT NEWS I just got the computer to boot up but there is an awful noise coming from the graphics card fan. but other than that i dont know why it suddenly worked all i did was boot the computer without the graphics card and then put the graphics card back in and booted up the computer and it worked. Thanks for the help

EDIT: I accidentally bumped the computer and the noise from the graphics card fan stoped.

Edited by Pickajoe, 14 January 2006 - 08:23 PM.

Posted Image

#14 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

It sounds like it was going out with you when you had to plug and replug it in earlier. Take a look at the manufacturer's site and see if there are any diagnostic programs you could download. If there are add on chips on the board, make sure they are good and seated. One last thing, use a pencil eraser and "erase" the copper contacts where the card plugs into the board. It should make the contacts shiny. Just clean away the excess eraser remains on the card when done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users