Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backweb? at startup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DrProphet

DrProphet

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

Hi,

I recently performed a clean install on my PC, and have reloaded some of my original software back on. However a problem has emerged in the past couple of days, out of the blue. Everytime I start my machine once Windows has loaded I get the following message Pop-up.

"Backweb is unable to access it's data directory. Either the data directory is invalid, unreachable or there is another instance of Backweb accessing it"

I've done some research on this, and popular opinion is that it is linked to kodak. I have no such Kodak software. However I looked up my startup programs in 'msconfig' and there is an entry there which says backweb logitech, which I believe is linked in someway to my webcam, or webcam software.

I have seen a way on a tech page which popped up in a google search, which involved just switching it off in the startup items list. Fair enough, but A: I thought i'd check with the experts first, and B: i'm not really one for brushing problems under the proverbial carpet, i'd rather solve the problem 'at source' if possible. Besides which, i've just as previously mentioned reformatted the whole drive and have put my nice fresh software on a nice fresh PC, so would like to iron out these issues early on rather than end up living with them as I have done previously.

Lastly, but worth a mention. I havn't deliberately installed anything that wasn't on my PC before, and i've NEVER had this issue, so kinda confused as to why this time a conflict has arisen.

Any help/ pointers, gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

^Apologies, I do have software on here that I didn't have before, I have changed my A.v. from AVG to Avast, and am also running Super Anti-spyware, which I wasn't before. Oh, and also using Opera rather than IE. But what I meant was, i'm not using any software which I believe would create this conflict. (Thought I better correct myself)

Edited by DrProphet, 28 July 2011 - 03:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

See http://forums.techguy.org/earlier-versions-windows/114260-solved-backweb-client.html .

Louis

#3 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:35 AM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for the link. That's actually where I located the info originally about unchecking the box in msconfig.

But I was wondering whether this would actually SOLVE the problem, or simply just switch off the alert. Was kinda hoping to rectify the underlying reason if possible. Happy enough to uncheck the box, if it's the only option.

Any further ideas welcome. If I hear no alternatives within the next couple of days, i'll presume this is the best course of action.

Cheers.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

If this is linked to update software...simply reinstall the software...or uninstall it and then reinstall it.

Louis

#5 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

Thanks Louis,

I'll check for updates for my software, and see if that sorts it. If not i'll turn off the start-up alert. I'll let you know if and how I sort it though.

Thanks.

#6 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:56 PM

Hi Hamluis, just thought i'd let you know that this problem seemed to disappear of it's own accord, for a few days, or a week or so, but just had an alert pop-up about it randomly. Wierd. Anyway it doesn't seem to be causing any major problem's so i'll ignore it for the time being unless it begins to be a real pain.

Thanks for your help.

#7 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:29 PM

detailed info on kodak easy-share and how to disable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users