Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing NimbleX to harddrive?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kaidacat

Kaidacat

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

I've tried a few different types, and so far my favorite Linux OS is NibleX. Only problem is, I can't seem to make it install to the harddrive. It boots from a CD and runs fine, but nothing I do will get it to install. I've run the installer to the harddrive, but it never loads.

I have an old Dell Optiplex with 256MB RAM, 60GB HDD, and Intel Pentium 4 2.56GHz processor.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

I've never run NimbleX. But some links I found, mostly older ones, say there are/were problems. One (from 2007) said it didn't run very well from the hard drive.

I have no idea if any of that has been fixed.The website's manual says it only works where Windows or something else using grub can load it for you. That doesn't answer the install question. But it certainly brings up the question of whether you really want to install it.

The entire manual is here.

#3 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:21 AM

IME, Slackware-based distros can be very sensitive to the dirty remains of NTFS on hard drives once containing the dominant OS, & refuse to install.
Once again, I must suggest using SystemRescueCD 1.3.5 and after booting to the CD, at the multi-colored prompt on the page asking User to type either "startx" or "wizard," type in the dd command which will wipe the hdd with zeros:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 conv=notrunc,sync
and start over.

Edited by pane-free, 12 August 2011 - 01:26 AM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users