Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

boot problems in vista

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dcllarson

dcllarson

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

My computer shut itself down, and when I tried to restart it, I got the black screen with Windows Boot manager. I tried to follow the directions on the screen but it just kicks me right back to the same screen after I hit enter on the second screen which shows the windows vista as recovered. Error message is \windows\system32\winload.exe Status is:0xc0000428. Can any one help me? I have the recovery disc and have tried to run systerm restore, but it's not successful because the memory is too full. I know I have programs that I could delete to get the memory freed up if I knew the cmd prompt to get me there. Maybe there is even another solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

See if this helps:

EDIT: http://www.lifeworldblog.com/computers/windows-7/windows-cannot-verify-the-digital-signature-for-winload-exe

Edited by Allan, 28 July 2011 - 12:25 PM.

#3 dcllarson

dcllarson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

Do I type that as one sentence after the command prompt? I have limited experience using cmd prompts

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

Sorry - this is what I meant to post: http://www.lifeworldblog.com/computers/windows-7/windows-cannot-verify-the-digital-signature-for-winload-exe

#5 dcllarson

dcllarson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:24 PM

I have read that blog and found a site 2 get a download of that program-i don't understand how 2 run it on a computer that won't boot. Vista is the only os I have installed

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:31 PM

1) You say you get a black screen with Windows Boot Manager and you try to follow the directions. Can you please explain what that means and what the message is? Explain IN DETAIL

2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#7 dcllarson

dcllarson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:49 PM

I push the power button and see the dell logo briefly, then the black screen pops up with windows boot manager across the top with instructions 2 insert the recovery disc 2 repair using recovery tool (which I tried already) or press enter2 display boot menu or f8 for advanced boot options. When I press f8 nothing happens, but when I hit enter it takes me to a second page stii labled boot manager, shows my os highlighted with (recovery) after the os name. It then gives me 2 options on that page-press enter to choose or f8 for advanced options-no mater which one I press it sends me back to the first page. Apart from the recovery disc those are the only two screens I can see. I haven't installed anything lately & have an updated antiviris program.

#8 dcllarson

dcllarson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:49 PM

I push the power button and see the dell logo briefly, then the black screen pops up with windows boot manager across the top with instructions 2 insert the recovery disc 2 repair using recovery tool (which I tried already) or press enter2 display boot menu or f8 for advanced boot options. When I press f8 nothing happens, but when I hit enter it takes me to a second page stii labled boot manager, shows my os highlighted with (recovery) after the os name. It then gives me 2 options on that page-press enter to choose or f8 for advanced options-no mater which one I press it sends me back to the first page. Apart from the recovery disc those are the only two screens I can see. I haven't installed anything lately & have an updated antiviris program.

#9 dcllarson

dcllarson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

When I attempt start up repair the only error message I see is "root cause found: boot manager failed to find os loader" repair action: file repair. Result completed successfully. But each time I've tried the start up repair & reboot I'm right back 2 same black screen

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

Well, my guess would be either a boot sector virus or a bad hd (and those ARE just guesses). I'd suggest downloading the diagnostic utility from your hd manufacturer's website, burning it to cd, and running it. Let's rule out (or in) a bad drive

#11 dcllarson

dcllarson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

I downloaded the diagnostic utility and burned it to a disc, then tried to boot from it-got the black screen back again. Do does that mean its the hard drive. Isn't there a way to run antivirus program from the dos side?

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:49 AM

I'm guessing you didn't actually boot to the cd. The cd drive needs to be the first device in the bios boot order. Also, if the file was a .iso you need to us a .iso burner to create the cd.

#13 dcllarson

dcllarson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

I had downloaded the iso burner, & changed the boot order to use dvd. Actually found the command prompts that got me into the boot repair section of the recovery disc & got the file repaired. Now I can boot up, but all og my files are missing. I'm sure I must be infected with something. Tried to clean it with I0bit malware fighter, but still not right after that. Hard drive shows files are all still there. But it does boot up now... Ready to throw it anyway!

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:31 AM

Run unhide.exe
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/unhide.exe

If you think you're infected, post in the Am I Infected forum.

#15 dcllarson

dcllarson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for all your help Allan!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users