Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installer running every time Word opens.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shoshone Joe

Shoshone Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

I have a machine that opens the Windows Installer every time I launch Microsoft Word. The Installer will go for a minute or so, then go away. The machine has both Word 97 and 2002 installed. I tried to reinstall Word 2002, but it will not let me uninstall it. When I try to uninstall it, I get an error saying "The Patch Package Cannot Be Opened".

My first thought was that Word's dictionary file(s) were damaged or corrupt, because I'd get the same problem when running spell check in Outlook Express.

Windows XP Home SP3
P4 3.0ghz
1gb RAM

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:24 PM

Hello,

I recall something like that happening with me some time back. You may need to do a repair installation. You will likely need the installation disk for MS Word to do the repair.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Shoshone Joe

Shoshone Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

Hello,

I recall something like that happening with me some time back. You may need to do a repair installation. You will likely need the installation disk for MS Word to do the repair.

Thanks for the reply. I attempted a repair installation, but I received an error saying that another installation was already in progress. I tried doing the repair install after a reboot (before trying to launch Word) and I get the same error.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:43 AM

Okay, looks like we're going to have to use something called "Windows Installer Cleanup". It's no longer supported by MS, but it works fine on older applications such as you have. It's used when an installation or uninstallation went haywire.

1. Download the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from here: http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4459.
2. Locate and run msicuu2.exe to install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.
3. Locate and launch the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility on the Start menu.
4. From the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility window, locate the application in the list, make sure ONLY that application is selected and click the Remove button.
5. Once the application has been removed, click the Exit button to close the utility.
You may now reinstall the application.

Let me know if this resolves the issue.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users