Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drives clicking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:02 AM

Hey guys,

I finally got around to building my new computer yesterday. All was well until i turned the bad boy on, which seemed fine at first but then never got past the bios screen. I then noticed that two of my hard drives were clicking. So i unplugged two, booted it up and it was ready to go. I then tried to plug another in and unplug the one that booted, and it booted once again(no clicking). So basically if i boot it up with only one HD plugged in it works without clicking, but if i have 2 or more plugged in at once the hard drives click for about 30 seconds and it never makes it past the bios screen. At first it seemed hands down HD failure but i think i ruled that out, any ideas?

Also, when i have 2 or more plugged in i cannot get into the BIOS.

Current Setup:
ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970
AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz
Ultra-120 Extreme Rev.C CPU Cooler
MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB
G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz 4GB
Corsair 750W PS
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W Black
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:08 PM

Clicking drives...are, generally, deteriorating drives.

If the BIOS cannot properly detect the drive and it's connected properly...Windows may not boot (since it can't get to that stage).

I'd suggeest running the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic...on each drive...before trying to utilize any of them.

Louis

#3 90awdturbo

90awdturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:07 AM

I hear ya, i'd think it would be the hard drives as well but it's odd that none of them click when they are plugged in solo. I've decided to solve the problem by purchasing a Crucial SSD drive :-D I'll mess around with the RAID once i get everything up and running on the SSD, and do my best to remember to post my solution.

Thanks for the input.

-Tom
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

I agree it's odd. Still a clicking hd is not something you want to ignore. At the very least make sure all critical data is backed up safely.

#5 Tommy t

Tommy t

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:49 PM

Low probability, but could also be caused by faulty/ underpowered PSU. Adding another drive may be just enough to consume the remaining available power. Also a combination of all the above. Clicking drive IS classic sign of failed HD , however them working each solo, is indeed odd. Just a thought.

#6 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:08 AM

I have seen this issue with large drive arrays and low wattage power supplies. I would suggest you reevaluate your power supply needs for the new system and see if you might have made a mistake on the wattage requirements. If not try and look at which rail you have the drives running off of and make sure they are being driven by a isolated rail. A multiple independent 12 volt rail PSU has more than one 12 volt rail. Each of the 12 volt rails has its own separate circuitry. Each of the 12 volt power connectors on the PSU cables is hooked up to one of the 12 volt rails. Since this is merely a PC PSU rather than a "real" one, the manufacturers often don't feel obligated to tell you which connector is hooked to which rail. One reason to have multiple separate 12 volt rails is to improve the load regulation and noise on the rail. When you connect an active load to a voltage rail you tend to end up with a noisy rail which jumps around a lot. It's not a nice flat voltage. It varies. The more active loads you hook to a rail the messier it gets. So building a PSU with independent 12 volt rails improves the "cleanness" of the power on each rail. Normally this is only done if you have some circuitry which is extremely picky about the quality of its voltage rails because separate rails cost more money than a single rail. So in essence if you have all of your drives and cards running off of one rail try and switch the power connectors around and see if you get better results.

Larry D. Lawrence II
Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users