Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lightning strikes and laptop screens

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:00 AM

Hello.

I have been away for some time now due to work and family troubles. And yet I come with a somewhat strange question, as it is most likely only here where I can find it. It happened once before, but at the time I had a plugin monitor with a desktop machine. A lightning strike had reverted the colors, turning it off then back on fixed the quirk However; is it possible to do that for a laptop ? restart the machine I mean, and it will be like nothing happened as well ? I am curious about this due to recent lightning storms in my area as of late, and so far nothing has gone wrong.

a nearby lightning strike wont fry my laptop will it ?

my system specs;

Machine maker: Dell, model; Latitude D620
RAM: 1280 GB, HD: 80GB
CPU: Intel coure 2 duo overclocked from 1.66ghz to 2.1ghz

machine runs great, I am merely curious of what I should do when a lightning bolt hits n earby and my screen goes wonky colors

thanks guys!

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:09 AM

I would recommend when you hear a thunderstorm that you unplug your lap top from the outlet and use it while on battery. In the event power does go out your lap top will be safe.

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:02 AM

a nearby lightning strike wont fry my laptop will it ?

that's depend's on your luck, but usually it will damage something, maybe it will not fry when lightning strike but there is a chance it will fry on the future (because that lightning strike).

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:48 AM

What I mean is, my screens color settings, will they go inverted, or go totally inverted from normal appearance ? If so, how do I change the screen settings back on a laptop ? this is what I am mostly curious about

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

Usually just a restart would fix the colors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users