Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changed CPU, Motherboard Beeping

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Arc042

Arc042

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:34 PM

I switched the CPU in an eMachines w3050 rig from an AMD Sempron 3000+ to an AMD Athlon 3200+ -- I think it was 3200+ anyway, but either way they were both Socket 462 CPUs. Beforehand, I went to the manufacturer site, downloaded and ran what was labeled as a BIOS update for that model. It looked to me like it just updated (or reinstalled the same) the display drivers. After switching the CPUs and touching nothing else, I powered the system back on. After a few seconds, everything shuts down and a red LED on the motherboard came on and it started beeping in a high/low pattern (like a siren -- very scary) which goes on forever until a few seconds after I unplug the computer. Terrified, I switched back to the Sempron that was originally installed in the rig. Upon turning it back on, I was treated to the same red LED & siren. After a little research on BIOS beep codes, the general pattern I found for high/low beeps is either:
The CPU is not seated properly -- unlikely. I aligned it right, checked and triple-checked, and set everything exactly as it should be. It fits just as it should, too.
CPU is overheating -- I don't see how this could happen with a cold CPU with a functional sink and fan within three seconds of powering on.
The CPU is defective -- this seems like the most logical, but both CPUs dead when they worked only minutes ago? Did I break them? Or,
The motherboard is defective -- I haven't the foggiest if this is more likely than a CPU issue or how to better test it since I have no other Socket 462 motherboards on hand.

I'm beginning to think that I might have damaged the CPUs somehow when removing and installing them. The pins all look fine. I am fairly cautious about static, but I don't own a wristband -- could that have caused it?

One more clue: I found another Athlon CPU, not sure exactly which, but when I install it, the board does NOT sound flash or beep. However, it does not enter BIOS or do much of anything -- after a few seconds, I hear a lot of clicking from the CPU. Otherwise, nothing. I hate to overcomplicate the issue, but I don't want to leave out anything important.

Specs:
eMachines w3050
OEM Windows XP
Mobo: K7MNF-64
BIOS: Phoenix Tech 12/02/2004 (the update I mentioned: http://support.gateway.com/us/en/emac/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=1439)
1Gb RAM
Old CPU: AMD Sempron 3000+
New CPU: AMD Athlon 3200+

Edited by Arc042, 28 July 2011 - 09:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:17 AM

I believe you will need to try to clear the CMOS and to do that read the documentation for the motherboard.

#3 shre

shre

• Banned
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:17 AM

Maybe this due to constant dirt and dust getting accumlated on the motherboard....the same happened with me...call a technician and get it serviced. :thumbup2: :thumbup2: :thumbup2: :thumbup2:

#4 Arc042

Arc042
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:35 AM

I believe you will need to try to clear the CMOS and to do that read the documentation for the motherboard.

I've already tried reseating the CMOS battery. My understanding is that doing that clears the CMOS -- is that correct?

Maybe this due to constant dirt and dust getting accumlated on the motherboard....the same happened with me...call a technician and get it serviced.

Well, if it comes to that... but it still seems odd to me that the Sempron that was originally in it worked right up until I tried to switch CPUS, and that the third Athlon I mentioned doesn't cause the same beep code.

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:00 AM

This could be your Problem?

Beforehand, I went to the manufacturer site, downloaded and ran what was labeled as a BIOS update for that model. It looked to me like it just updated (or reinstalled the same) the display drivers.

Updating the BIOS is usually a last resort, when all else fails.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 28 July 2011 - 02:02 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#6 Arc042

Arc042
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

I have my doubts about the BIOS update. That file I linked to is what I ran, and it looked to me like it had more to do with nvidia display drivers than with the BIOS.
From the update file's readme:
"This is the Windows XP motherboard driver package for the computers listed in the Applicable Part Numbers section of this document."
But the removal instructions read:
"In the Add or Remove Programs window, click NVIDIA Drivers, and then click Change/Remove."
And towards the end:
"Reason for Update
This is the initial release of the driver." (which I find odd,since the BIOS is dated 2004 and this file is dated 2009 on the support site)

Am I not understanding something, or is this not a BIOS update at all?

Drovers Dog, do you mean that the iffy update I ran might have caused the issue, or that I still need to update the BIOS to correct it? I don't think I can do anything to it now --software wise-- since I can't get it to turn on at all.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:53 PM

How did you install the BIOS?

The file you downloaded was not the BIOS it contained only drivers.

Edited by cryptodan, 28 July 2011 - 04:04 PM.

#8 Arc042

Arc042
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

How did you install the BIOS?

The file you downloaded was not the BIOS it contained only drivers.

That's what I thought. All I did was extract the zip from that site, and follow the install instructions. It either involved running a file in C:\cabs\ or just running the installer from wherever I extracted it; I don't remember which, and the readme for most of the emachines support downloads seemed inaccurate. Either way, doing so just brought up the Nvidia dealy.

So the BIOS was never updated.

#9 Arc042

Arc042
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

At this point I'm not hoping so much for a repair method as I am for a diagnosis or a diagnostic method to figure out what exactly went bad and why -- whether a new CPU would help, or if the motherboard is no good, etc... Since 3 out of 3 Socket 462 CPUS failed in it, at least one that absolutely had to be compatible (granted one failed in a different way for some reason), and I can't produce the same beeping reaction in my other compatible motherboards (although none of them work either), I am leaning towards the motherboard being damaged or defective. Any suggestions on confirming this?

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:03 PM

try assembling the PC out side the case, and see if the CPU's work then?

#11 Arc042

Arc042
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:32 PM

try assembling the PC out side the case, and see if the CPU's work then?

No luck -- the same thing happened. I'm going to link to a video I took -- this is what happens to the computer now immediately when I plug it in.
Link: http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/x425/crantlin42/?action=view&current=SSPX0064.mp4

I still haven't been able to replicate this result with either CPU in another motherboard (again, I haven't had any successful startups with either one, either).

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:46 AM

That definitely is a CPU Failure Alarm.

#13 Arc042

Arc042
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

That definitely is a CPU Failure Alarm.

So does that rule out a defective motherboard (on that basis alone at least)? I've obviously done something wrong on the install; I'm just wondering what I broke.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:58 PM

Did you ground yourself when installing the CPU?

#15 Arc042

Arc042
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

Did you ground yourself when installing the CPU?

Like I said, I take all the precautions I can, but I don't have a ground wrist strap so I can't be 100% sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users