Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot boot vista, F8 key doesn't respond

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maps9

maps9

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

On starting up my laptop I received notification of a virus and whilst attempting to remove it, my Compaq laptop shut down to protect itself. I briefly got a blue screen with text advising me of this before it quickly went to a black screen of death with flashing cursor. I've researched this on various threads and forums but nothing described the exact problem I have. When I try the advice to reboot in safe mode by using Ctrl+Alt+Delete, nothing happens and I get no response from repeatedly hitting the F8 key either, just the black screen.

I've tried various things I've seen recommended, powering off for 10 mins, removing battery etc but without the option of F8 key I'm stumped and would appreciate any ideas. I'm posting this from a 2nd machine so I do have the option of downloading and using USB to transfer solutions if I can get Compaq to respond. I'm not a total IT novice but equally far from a techie.

Thanks for any help

Edited by hamluis, 28 July 2011 - 07:57 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

What model Compaq, please?

Have you checked the HP website support page for the system?

Louis

#3 maps9

maps9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

Hi Louis

Thanks for replying.

It's a Compaq Presario CQ60-218, bought April 2009 and I believe it's non EFI based

Following your suggestion I went on to the HP /Compaq site and tried some of what I saw to be relevant suggestions.

I did a proper hard reset including 20 sec battery drain - no joy.

I also connected an external monitor which showed nothing thereby I think ruling out graphics card and display issues.

I found that by hitting F10 key I was able to get into BIOS diagnostics and ran memory test which was passed and then a primary hard disk test which failed within seconds with #1-07 Fail

So I guess that's my issue but is my only option now to contact HP?

Thanks
Mike

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:57 PM

Your issue is your hard drive...a failure of any diagnostic...is not a good thing :).

But...since all this started with suspicions of malware...I would initiate a post at or Am I Infected forum and, at the same time, list it on our Unbootable Computers (due to malware) list. This will result in someone with more knowledge than I have...trying to assist you :).

I will move this to the AII forum.

Louis

#5 maps9

maps9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

Thanks for moving Louie, but I've had no further replies in these other areas of forum.

Would there be a way of restoring laptop to previous state, even if this means wiping the computer, or is a diagnostics result like that a sign that only option is expensive new hard disk?

#6 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:12 AM

Hello, maps9.
My name is etavares and I will be helping you with this log.

Here are some guidelines to ensure we are able to get your machine back under your control.

• Please do not run any unsupervised scans, fixes, etc. We can work against each other and end up in a worse place.
  • Please subscribe to this topic if you have not already done so. Please check back just in case, as the email system can fail at times.
  • Just because your machine is running better does not mean it is completely cleaned. Please wait for the 'all clear' from me to say when we are done.
  • Please reply within 3 days to be fair to other people asking for help.
  • When in doubt, please stop and ask first. There's no harm in asking questions!

Now, some questions. Does the computer beep at you as it boots up? If so...how...what's the pattern? one beep? long beep, short beep, long beep, etc. THat can help tell us something if it's not virus related.

If it is virus related, it may be an infected MBR. If so, you can't recover your computer as it will have overwritten the recovery console.

Let's just start with answering the questions in this post and we'll figure out where to go. Worst case, we should be able to recover your files unless you have a serious hard drive failure.

etavares

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users