Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to get in windows

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

I am having a problem with my xp sp2 computer. When I start it up, it goes into the safe mode screen, safe mode with networking, start windows normally. I cannot think of what the last one is now. I have tried to get into windows by all four ways, safe mode, safe mode with networking, and by the other two ways, but I cannot get in. It makes an attempt to go into windows but then it will monentarily show the bsod, and then revert back into safe mode again. My question is this; how can I get into bsod long enough to read the error messages. It only stays in that screen for about 2 seconds and then go back to the safe mode screen. Is there any simple way that I can get the computer to go into the bsod long enough to read the error messages, or will I have to do a factory restore. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

Choose the option Disable automatic restart on system failure.

Posted Image

#3 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:03 PM

.X., that did the trick. This is what it displays: Stop: 0x000000ed (0x86ba900,0xc0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) I will try to Google these and see what I can find out. If you have any idea of what this means I would appreciate any help I could get. Thank you. One more question: How do I get back to the page with the safe mode?

#4 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:06 PM

.X., you can disreard on that very last question as I found that information on the same page. I did not read it over very well as you can see.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:01 AM

If you still need help please post the entire contents of the blue screen error.

#6 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

Allan, I would certainly do that, but I can't get online with the computer that has the problem. Thanks anyway.

#7 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

Allan, I managed to take a picture of the BSOD with my camera. The file is attached. This is my first time of attaching an attachment so I hope I did it right.

Attached Files

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

That message indicates a problem with the hard drive or mft. Take a look here:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000630.htm

#9 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:06 PM

Allan, I read that information yesterday. However, I do not have a windows xp disk to get me into the recovery console. So that is out. In my opinion, my only hope is to do a factory restore, and hope that the hard drive is ok. I believe that some how the files got screwed up when I turned the computer off at the switch instead of a proper shut down. As I stated earlier, I read on line some where when a virus screen pops up on your computer not to click on any of the close (X) buttons as this could mean a yes instead of closing that particular screen down. That same thing happened to me last Sept. When I clicked on the X in order to close down the virus screen. The virus, (Antivirus 2009) downloaded on my computer. This computer is acting the same way. I can't use any of the 4 features in the safe mode screen. It may just have been that the virus has screwed up some of the files. I did have an updated free AVG on this computer I am having the trouble with. However, my other computer it happened to had the commercial antivirus. The exact same thing happened to that one too. I guess we are all vulnerable to those nasty viruses. I will not be using anymore AVG Antivirus Programs from now on.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:10 PM

You know, I'm in the minority on this but I've always been of the opinion that if there's one piece of software it's worth spending money on, it's the Anti Virus app. I realize there are some good free options (Avira, Avast, etc), but as far as I'm concerned I want the BEST - and that's never free.

BTW, there are ways to get to the recovery console without purchasing an XP CD. You can either borrow an XP CD (any version will work and it's perfectly legal) or you can do this:

Create Recovery Console CD using ARCDC:

Please download ARCDC from http://artellos.com/arcdc-page
Then:
1) Double click ARCDC.exe
2) Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
3) You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
4) You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
5) Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
6) The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC

Your ISO is located on your desktop.

#11 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

Allan, is this program, or files stand alone files. I don't want to install anything on my other computers. If this is a stand alone program, or files, I could do this and then burn to a cd. I will check this out. Thanks a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users