Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Problem Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DonP

DonP

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:42 PM

I was hit by malware recently and MFDnSC helped me resovle those problems, details can be found at:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...sult_type=posts

The last instruction from MFDnSC was to reset system restore points by turning off system restore and reboot. Well here is the rub, when ever attempt that by going to system restore by right clicking on my computer selecting properties and then clicking system restore tab the system properties box disappears back to the desktop, every time. This may make more sense to you, if I go to system properties thru the control panel then systems when I click on system restore tab I get this error message: An execption occurred while tring to run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shell32.dll, Control_RUNDLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System" When I click on OK in the RUNDLL dropdown box that the error message is in, the System Properties Box disappears back to the Control Panel. I don't know but I suspect that the malware jacked with system restore to use it to recreate itself as I tried to get rid of it. MFDnSC suggested that I post in this Forum for help. Help PLEASE !!!

The Operating System is:
WINDOWS XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:23 PM

DonP:

Try to reinstall System Restore.

Caution: The following procedure will remove all the existing System Restore points, and resets the System Restore drive monitoring options to defaults (monitors all drives by default.)

Solution
Reinstalling System Restore

1. Click Start, Run and type %Windir%\INF
2. Locate the SR.INF file. The file may be shown as SR, if you have configured Windows Explorer to hide known file extensions. To see the file extensions for all file types, then try this:

* On the Tools menu in My Computer, click Folder Options.
* Click the View tab.
* Clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box.

3. Right-click the SR.INF file, and then click Install
4. Windows will now attempt to reinstall System Restore, and may prompt you for the Windows installation source path. Point to %Windir%\ServicePackFiles folder, or insert your slipstreamed Windows XP (matching the Service Pack level of your system.)
5. System Restore core files will be reinstalled. Restart Windows when prompted.

Source - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairsr.htm

Let us know if that worked.

Edited by Joshuacat, 14 January 2006 - 01:24 PM.

JC

#3 DonP

DonP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:02 PM

:thumbsup: Yep!! That did the trick. Thank you ever so much!!!

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:26 PM

That's great! Thanks for letting us know. It may help others in the future.
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users