Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD - is there anything I'm missing?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Marli

Marli

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

A friend brought a laptop for me to look at that has the BSOD coming out in every attempt to get to the login screen. The problem it was having before was she had a virus. She let someone attempt to fix it and now the BSOD is all that comes out. I cannot go into Safe Mode, I cannot go into Repair Your Computer, Debugging Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, System Recovery or anything. My friend said she doesn't really have anything on the computer that she needed so even a clean install would do. In an attempt to boot Windows 7 from the CD (I changed the boot order), I get the Press any key to boot from CD or DVD.. and I press a button and see "Windows is loading files..." and then it goes to the blue screen again??? I don't know if it's booting from the disk or not but I do hear the CD drive whirring. The blue screen is:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00000000001904B, 0xFFFFF88002734d068, 0xFFFFF880027338CO, 0xFFFFF80011CE9ADF)"

I have also pressed enter on the option "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" and it restarts.. takes a while longer to load but then BSOD again. This is a Compaq Presario CQ62-215DX Notebook running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64x. The CD I popped in is also Windows 7 Home Premium and when popped into any other computer, it works? Also, I saw the option (F2 System Diagnostics) and I saw a "Start-Up Test" and I ran this and this does a Memory Test, SMART Check and Short DST and it passes the others but fails the Short DST with this failure:

"Failure ID
QCSM79-0005NH-XD003G-60VU03
Product ID
WQ856UA#ABA
"

I just want to run the CHKDSK /F or do a whole new install but I don't see any way to get in there and do this? Am I missing something or does anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garybeafl

garybeafl

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

I would remove the hard drive and install it in a desktop as a second drive and then format it and then return it to the laptop.

#3 Marli

Marli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

I didn't want it to come to that but it's looking like the only option left <_< Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users