Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

i guess "my type" is not welcome here

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ASDCR_*

Guest_ASDCR_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:43 AM

been in this business since '02

not a lot i haven't seen anymore

but this forum won't let me place a simple link to my website (i run a local computer repair shop in san diego county) because its "commercial" in nature

i find it offensive that they want US to populate their website with all kinds of great content, propelling them up in search engine rankings, but if we want to put a link in our signature (and you bet - get a little backlink action) to our (oh my GAWD...) COMMERCIAL website, that's not allowed

so, i'll take my ball and go home

and no - they will NEVER get a DIME from me for combofix or any of their other software (which you better believe - I USE) --- they got the ad impressions from me over the course of my visiting this site so that will have to suffice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:08 AM

BC is pretty clear about their stand and being offended about it doesn't solve anything.

ēAdvertisements, of any sort, are not permitted. This includes member names and links to commercial sites in Signatures, or in posts.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:12 AM

I am a member of quite a few forums, and none of them would allow such a link.

and no - they will NEVER get a DIME from me for combofix or any of their other software

Um, BC doesn't charge for ComboFix.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

Eric and I have been discussing this off list. This is what I have sent him:

I think the information and tools we make available for free to the community more than make up for Computer Repair Professionals providing help on the site, which to be honest is not much. Most consultants use BC for information and tools but rarely post on the forums themselves. Why, because they are doing it all day for a living and donít want to do it again on their leisure time. Do you seem me complaining about this? Do you see me complaining to all the hundreds, if not thousands, of computer repair companies that contact me about rkill, other tools, and guides? Do you see me complaining when they ask me to make changes to Rkill for their benefit, yet offer nothing to the site itself? Do you see me complain when they repeatedly download our tools on their customers computers without a thought that they are using my siteís bandwidth and incurring expenses to the site?

No, I donít complain. Why? Because I made these tools so everyone can benefit, including computer repair companies. I created this site to help people. Whether this is removing malware, teaching how to cut and paste, or making it easier for computer repair companies to help their clients, this mission has not changed and will not in the future.

So, to hear you complain about why you should be allowed to post a link to your site just comes across as only selfish to me. Why not think about BleepingComputer and the people who help out here. The staff constantly review the new posts on this forum for spam. They work tirelessly helping users with their problems, while at the same time deleting spam posts, spam links, and banning spammers all day. Due to this, we do not allow people to post commercial sites that they are involved in. This helps reduce the workload for our staff and makes it easier for us to combat spam on the site, which is a major problem.

I am sorry if you do not like this rule, but itís not going to change.

Yes, I am the owner. Also good luck with your blog. From the articles I just read, they are well written.

Lawrence Abrams
BleepingComputer.com

I think ultimately we have come to an understanding, though, not 100% eye-to-eye.

As I think most are aware, BleepingComputer loves computer repair professionals. Many of our staff members are in this business and I come from this industry. The rules are in place to protect the site. Nothing more and nothing less.

#5 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

Thank you Ginler for BP and all that are here offering help. As for offering links well I will say that BP is one of the few sites I trust absolutely. All it would take is for one sour link to show up and before you know it that sense of trust the I and many have developed would be lost.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:15 AM

Thank you Ginler for BP and all that are here offering help. As for offering links well I will say that BP is one of the few sites I trust absolutely.

Should we assume "BP" stands for "Bleeping 'Puter".

:)

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

Eric and I have been discussing this off list. This is what I have sent him:

I think the information and tools we make available for free to the community more than make up for Computer Repair Professionals providing help on the site, which to be honest is not much. Most consultants use BC for information and tools but rarely post on the forums themselves. Why, because they are doing it all day for a living and don't want to do it again on their leisure time. Do you seem me complaining about this? Do you see me complaining to all the hundreds, if not thousands, of computer repair companies that contact me about rkill, other tools, and guides? Do you see me complaining when they ask me to make changes to Rkill for their benefit, yet offer nothing to the site itself? Do you see me complain when they repeatedly download our tools on their customers computers without a thought that they are using my site's bandwidth and incurring expenses to the site?

No, I don't complain. Why? Because I made these tools so everyone can benefit, including computer repair companies. I created this site to help people. Whether this is removing malware, teaching how to cut and paste, or making it easier for computer repair companies to help their clients, this mission has not changed and will not in the future.

So, to hear you complain about why you should be allowed to post a link to your site just comes across as only selfish to me. Why not think about BleepingComputer and the people who help out here. The staff constantly review the new posts on this forum for spam. They work tirelessly helping users with their problems, while at the same time deleting spam posts, spam links, and banning spammers all day. Due to this, we do not allow people to post commercial sites that they are involved in. This helps reduce the workload for our staff and makes it easier for us to combat spam on the site, which is a major problem.

I am sorry if you do not like this rule, but it's not going to change.

Yes, I am the owner. Also good luck with your blog. From the articles I just read, they are well written.

Lawrence Abrams
BleepingComputer.com

Good for you!!

#8 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:25 AM

:crazy: "Opps!" :wacko: Oh well, if they wanted to change the name to "Bleepin Puter" I would still trust it!
I told my wife and kids once you hit 50 you have an excuse for all kinds of stupid little things.
Regards Best
Nawtheasta

#9 oledawg

oledawg

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:36 AM

been in this business since '02

not a lot i haven't seen anymore

but this forum won't let me place a simple link to my website (i run a local computer repair shop in san diego county) because its "commercial" in nature

i find it offensive that they want US to populate their website with all kinds of great content, propelling them up in search engine rankings, but if we want to put a link in our signature (and you bet - get a little backlink action) to our (oh my GAWD...) COMMERCIAL website, that's not allowed

so, i'll take my ball and go home

and no - they will NEVER get a DIME from me for combofix or any of their other software (which you better believe - I USE) --- they got the ad impressions from me over the course of my visiting this site so that will have to suffice

I think you 'guessed' wrong, and that you dubiously perceive and take offense stating, "they want US to populate their website with all kinds of great content...".

Pardon me while I contemplate the bloated ego on display here... Yep, for one who has "been in this business since '02" and "not a lot i haven't seen anymore", I hate to burst your bubble, but my experience tells me there is much more to learn, no matter how long one has been involved in a particular occupation.

So, by all means, if you decide to "Take your ball and go home", then do so, but I recommend that you stick around and learn from those who freely offer their experience and hard work for those who truly wish to learn.

But you must do so in accordance with established forum rules.

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

One of the things that the Moderating Staff take very seriously is assuring the trust of people visiting BC, and this rule is in place for that reason. It would be as difficult to monitor every "commercial" link such as yours and make a subjective interpretation about it as it would be to justify any exceptions when someone asked wanting to link to their own business.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users