Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootable USB Creation Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sonicccc

Sonicccc

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:46 AM

Hello all. I am trying to create a bootable USB Flash Drive to reformat my computer. I have taken steps from this website. (It's the first reply with about 35 kudos). When I get to step two (list disk) my command prompt will only list 1 disk. Keep in mind I have 2 disks on my computer, without a flash drive plugged in. Also it is listing the secondary disk that doesn't even have windows installed on it. This sounds like a serious virus that is taking all possible steps to not allow me to reformat. I also know that my computer recognizes the flash drive because I moved a bunch of music from it before trying to partition it. I am also logged into an account that has administrative power but isn't the real "administrator" log in. So I found that you can click ctrl+alt+delete twice at the welcome screen to be able to type in and access the real administrator account.(because the website i've provided says to be on the admin account) However when I am NOT in safe mode my computer tells me that the account has been closed and to contact my local administrator lol? So I go to safe mode with CMD, do the ctrl+alt+delete thing twice, type administrator and bam! It logs me in. Although I was getting stuck at the same step #2.

EDIT: I should add that using a CD-ROM to reformat is not an option for me as my computer has lost the ability to burn disks. And the fact that if I acquire a burnt disc or a real copy of Windows my computer lacks the ability to boot from a CD. >_>

Here are my questions for you genius minds out there:
1. Is there a way to fix this command prompt problem? I would rather not download something to make my flash drive bootable.
2. Is there ANY other method that doesn't require a download to make my flash drive bootable?
3. If you don't know how to fix the command prompt problem can you recommend a program to me to make my flash drive bootable?
4. How can My Computer's explorer recognize the main Disk C, the secondary Disk E, and my Flash Drive but CMD won't? But it will recognize the secondary disk.

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to read my mediocre explanation skills. Also thank you in advance for ANY tips/help/advice etc. BTW if HamMan is reading this I got SP3 on here now (his name isn't really HamMan but Ham is in there).
-Sonic

Edited by Sonicccc, 27 July 2011 - 05:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:02 PM

And the fact that if I acquire a burnt disc or a real copy of Windows my computer lacks the ability to boot from a CD.

Are you unable to access the BIOS to alter the Boot Mode - Many XP's use Delete key to enter BIOS where you can alter Boot Mode -
The guide you list is a bit rough but looks like it can be done if you are careful -
4. copy the windows vista\windows 7 dvd to ur usb
5. restart ur computer
6. go to bios
7.then go to boot option
8. select boot from usb drive and press enter
Exit Bios and save settings -

#3 Sonicccc

Sonicccc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:53 AM

Okay but Like I said I am getting stuck on step #2. So I'm an currently lacking the ability to make my usb drive bootable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users