Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cursor moving on it own

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Toria123

Toria123

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:22 AM

Wasn't sure where to post this.
Basically what the title says, last night i was moving my cursor down the page i stopped but the cursor kept moving i thought that was strange but didn't think anything of it then later on i was watching BBCiplayer on full screen and i was sitting away from the computer, then the cursor appears and moves a wee bit and i noticed this because when watching a programme and you move the mouse the task bar thing at the bottom with play,stop etc. appears so it done this a few times then it moved from the middle of the screen right over to the left hand side thats when i got a bit freaked.
Is there any reason for this to happen? i had my phone charging right beside my mouse and i never do this could that do anything, im just trying to think of anything that isn't malicious.
My computer is a desktop, windows xp with just a basic mouse (i think its called mechanical.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:04 AM

Try going to Device Manager...uninstall the drivers for the mouse...then reboot Windows. The drivers automatically reinstall upon reboot.

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. This will get you to Device Manager.

Louis

#3 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:33 AM

Toria, in addition to the good advice you received from Louis, I'd like to suggest you clean your mouse. Sometimes small dust particles will attach to the rollerball and cause erratic behavior of the cursor. I would also suggest you recharge your phone away from the computer, just in case.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#4 Toria123

Toria123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

Thanks Louis, i uninstalled the mouse drivers.
Thanks for the advice Tulsarose, im going to give it a clean now and keep my phone away.

So you dont think it was anything bad really then?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

Well...I can't say with certainty...but the only times that I've had problems with mouse movement...have all been...driver corruption, loose connection, or something I self-inflicted by inadvertent placement of pressure on the keyboard :).

If I used a wireless mouse, I would have to include batteries as a possible cause.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users