Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repeated Vista BSOD Issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kharybdis

kharybdis

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:24 AM

Hi, folks.

Recently, my desktop machine has been experiencing some serious BSOD issues while running Vista. I haven't been able to have the machine on for more than a couple of minutes before fatal crashes send me back to bootup.

According to the System properties, I am running a 32-bit version of Vista Home Premium. Oddly, according to the label on the disk (legit disk, for the record), it should be a 64-bit version. But considering that this machine has been running smoothly for 2.5 years, I don't think that's the root of the problem.

Often, I can't even see the error message because the BSOD flashes off and the boot process begins again. But I have been able to identify a couple of the different BSOD errors I am seeing. One is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and the other is MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

I haven't changed any of the hardware on the system in the past several months, and I am at a complete loss here to understand what's going on.

I'd be grateful for any help anyone here could send my way.

Thanks,
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

First...diable auto reboot after BSOD. This will enable the error message to be seen onscreen.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/ht/arestartvista.htm

Once the error messages become visible...copy/paste the content (exact wording) into your next post.

Can you boot into safe mode...with no problems?

Have you tried using System Restore?

Louis

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:14 AM

I have the occasional BSOD and it restarts, I turned off the restart now you just get the BSOD and you have to press the power button on and off and it restarts.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:19 AM

I have the occasional BSOD and it restarts, I turned off the restart now you just get the BSOD and you have to press the power button on and off and it restarts.

Are you responding to something in this thread or posting about a problem you have? If the latter, you should start your own thread please.

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:53 AM

First...diable auto reboot after BSOD. This will enable the error message to be seen onscreen.

Louis

Are you responding to something in this thread or posting about a problem you have? If the latter, you should start your own thread please.

Sorry Allan but I'm commenting on the suggestion to stop it restarting as suggested by Louis so its still relevant.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:59 AM

Sorry for butting in then - it was a little unclear to me

#7 kharybdis

kharybdis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

Once the error messages become visible...copy/paste the content (exact wording) into your next post.

Can you boot into safe mode...with no problems?

Have you tried using System Restore?

Louis

Hi, Louis.

Thanks for the advice, but I can't even get to the login prompt for Windows. We're talking repeated BSOD, even when trying to boot into safe mode.

#8 kharybdis

kharybdis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:31 PM

Finally got some new errors I could investigate...

0xc0000098: kernel is missing or corrupt
0xc0000001: system registry file is missing or corrupt
0xc0000221: required file is missing or corrupt

I received each of those over 3 different bootups. Either all of those things are bad, or there's something going haywire in there.

Eventually, I removed one of my sticks of RAM, and the system was able to boot up. I'm not convinced, however, that the RAM is bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users