Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 64-bit to 32-bit reinstallation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gn0sis

gn0sis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:29 PM

Hi all. I want to first of all say thank you in advance. I've worked as a PC tech for the last year and a half at a local joint here in College Station, TX and BC has been a wonderful resource in the past for me. To date, I haven't needed to ask questions directly; unfortunately, this latest one has stumped me. I have done my best to peruse the forum for previous topics of this nature and have found nothing. I realize it's a pain to answer the same thing twice so please feel free to redirect me if you found something I didn't.

Unlike most problems for which I've sought help on BC, this one is personal. I'm trying to reinstall Windows 7 on my laptop but I'm running into some problems. First, I've run MEMTEST and HDD checks and everything checks out. Second, the full OS installation history was (OEM) 32-bit Vista, 32-bit Windows 7, and 64-bit Windows 7 (currently, or more appropriately formerly as I've already reformatted the hard drive).

I'd like to install Windows x86 on this machine as I've recently purchased a new performance laptop on which I have x64 Win7 installed. Before you protest, the laptop I'm asking about only has 2 GB RAM so there's no point in having x64 installed (and in fact it causes a lot of compatibility problems for legacy programs; yes, I installed Virtual Machine w/ XP but the graphics card doesn't carry over so I can't run the programs I need). Unfortunately, every time I try to boot to the DVD with Win7 x86 on it, it loads the files, shows the "Starting Windows..." splash screen, and then BSODs. The error? "c000021a"

I've put a x64 Win7 disc in and it doesn't have this error at all. Any idea what might be causing this? I'm emarrassed to ask since I should know these things as a tech but I'm at my wits end here. Google hasn't been kind to me and I'm about ready to give up. Any help you can offer would be awesome. Thanks a lot guys and gals!

PS. Please let me know if you require any more information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669

Louis

#3 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:07 PM

Install 64 bit w7

Go to all programs (bottom left)
Right click on INTERNET EXPLORER (not INTERNET EXPLORER (64 BIT)
Send to desktop
Now when you startup click on IE Icon on desktop and you will be using 32 bit W7
which will not drain your memory allocation, you can now also download all
the 32 bit applications you require.

#4 gn0sis

gn0sis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately, as I said I've done extensive research on this and had already found the Microsoft article. Unfortunately again, it wasn't of much use. I went through the steps and was unable to fix the problem. Likewise, the 32-bit IE workaround doesn't really help in this case. I've ended up installing Windows 7 (x64) and Windows XP (x86) on different partitions to allow me to perform the functions I wanted all along. Thank you both again for your replies.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:33 AM

Glad you resolved, I do the same dual-boot for similar reasons :). Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users