Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not turn off

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CtChile

CtChile

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

I've been working at trouble-shooting my PC for about a week now. My problem is that when I shut down my computer: windows completes a shutdown, and the computer remains on. I can see lights on, fans running, etc.

I can assure everyone that I'm not 'hibernating' or in some sort of sleep mode, and that windows is not the problem. I've confirmed that much by booting to linux from a cd-rom and attempting to shut down from that OS, and had the same results. I've taken a look at the BIOS power settings and I didn't see anything obviously awry, but if anyone has good knowledge about power settings, I'd listen to whatever they had to say.

Additionally I've tried unplugging the case fans to start trying to troubleshoot any possible hardware issues, starting with the least annoying to unplug, to the most annoying... and I'm going to continue that after posting this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks in advance to anyone with new ideas.

Info on the rig:
Assembled in 2010

Windows 7 pro 64
ASUS m4a79xtd EVO motherboard
AMD Athlon II X3 435
4.00 GB Crucial Ram
WD Caviar hard drive
Cooler Master 500w PSU (psu is older than rig)
HIS Radeon HD 4650

Edited by CtChile, 26 July 2011 - 09:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:04 AM

not sure but ! the one time this happened to me it was because of a powered usb hub,any chance you are using one ,or some other add on powered device

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 CtChile

CtChile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:27 AM

Actually, I'm using a powered KVM swtich, that's a bit like a USB hub. I'll give it a shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users