Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer popup problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PowerGirl

PowerGirl

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:16 PM

Hello. I searched but could not find postings on this topic, forgive me if I missed them. Running XP Pro, 2002, SP3.
After fixing a virus today (which I will post about in the proper forum) I'm having trouble with Windows Installer popping up to tell me "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable"..."Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'AcroStan.msi' in the box below"...
Use Source:d:\
(or), drop down shows C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Setup Files\{AC76BA86-1033-0000-BA7E-000000000003}\
(or), drop down shows Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard CD.
I thought it was an issue with an old version of Adobe, so I have tried to remove Adobe 8.1.3 Standard to no avail - The Windows Installer comes up again, and then "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."
Yes, I have administrator rights. Searching the Microsoft site and other general searches, it seems there used to be a Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, but it is no longer available.
Thanks to anyone who can offer advice to my first post!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:51 AM

Hi :).

If the popup issue is on the same system as your yet-to-be-posted malware issue...I suggest that you resolve the malware issue before moving on to whatever issues the system then displays.

Louis

#3 PowerGirl

PowerGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

Yes, malware issue was resolved. But, Installer problem persists.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

From the topic you posted in the MRL forum, which has now been moved by me to the Am I Infected forum: "Things seem to be running ok now, but I'm skeptical that the virus is completely gone..."

That doesn't sound like it's resolved to me.

I suggest that you pursue the topic in AII...and then post any system issues in the XP forum, if any remain.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users