Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Properties Dialogue Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lockers

lockers

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 30 October 2004 - 04:41 PM

Hi

I am having a problem where-by if I 'right-click' folders on the desktop or in 'My Computer' the properties dialogue box is not appearing. The properties will appear without a problem for an individual files though.

I have recently installed XP SP2 and think this may be the cause, but may be wrong!

Can anyone help please, it would be greatly appreciated.

D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2004 - 01:30 PM

Download and extract this file. Then run the file inside it and allow it to run or merge the data.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/folder_reg.zip

#3 lockers

lockers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2004 - 05:30 PM

Thanks Grinler for your reply.

I tried what you suggested, unfortunately it hasn't made a difference.

During today, I have unistalled my Norton Internet security/anti-virus software. Once I had uninstalled it, the properties functionality was as normal. It was also fine after the initial re-installation. However the problem arose again after the first 'live update'. Therefore I'm going to take a wild guess that Norton is now struggling with recently updated XP to SP2.

On a side note, now that Norton is fully re-installed, and 'up-todate' it is now saying that I cannot swith on one feature as it says "Failed to save setting. Please verify your windows account is not restricted". I can confirm that I am logged in as administrator.

I don't suppose you have any other ideas in the light of todays investigation? Or anyone else?

Many thanks for your time, sorry this post was a little lengthy.
D

PS What did the file in the link actually do to the registry?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2004 - 06:43 PM

That registry file is supposed to reset the associations for folders.

As for the norton part, have you checked to see if there are any updates from norton for your program?

#5 lockers

lockers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2004 - 07:26 PM

My Norton product is fully up-to-date.

Are you aware of any way that an Administrator user could 'loose' some of its Administrator capabililies? Through some virus, or any other means?

I have just realised the 'Sharing and Security' dialogue also fails to appear for folders, from the same 'right click' scenario.

Again any advice or suggestions, greatly appreaciated.

D

#6 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 31 October 2004 - 08:11 PM

I woul say dump Norton (unless you have already paid large bucks {or pounds} for it) and go with AVG free. I have and quite a few others also. I quit it because of the big problems I was having getting it updated properly. You will notice that there are a lot of posters here that are very wise in the matters of protection etc. Not me, necessarily tho! Welcome!!! :flowers: :trumpet: :thumbsup:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2004 - 04:31 PM

I agree..dump norton.

But besides that, you prob have file sharing turned off. Go into the control panel and double-click on the network connections. Right click on your conenction and go into properties

Make sure file and print sharing is checked

#8 lockers

lockers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for the further suggestion

I checked and File and print sharing was enabled.

If I was to dump Norton what would you recommend as an alternative to the Firewall/Intrusion Detection/Anti-Virus.

Cheers

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:45 PM

I would install AVG and zonealarm and you will have all the protection you need. Unfortunately I know that Norton has beenhaving problems with sp2

#10 lockers

lockers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:00 AM

Hi all.

I have solved my problem with the folder properties. I posted the same query on another forum and someone directed me to this link....

http://forum.osnn.net/archive/index.php/t-3601.html

This worked, I'm still not entirely sure why the WWW publishing service affects the folder properties and sharing, but its fixed now which is the main thing.

I also manged to solve the problem with Norton where I couldn't switch on a feature, using a more detailed uninstall/reinstall procedure from the symantec website. (Sorry, I no longer have that link but it was fairly easy to find).

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, especially the Norton alternatives. I think they might come in handy once my subscription is finished.

Cheers
D

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:54 AM

Glad it all worked out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic