Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dialup modem fails to connect after reconnecting it to PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NewHorizon1

NewHorizon1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

I'm working on a Dell machine with Windows XP Home SP2. It's owner must connect to the Internet through a 56k dialup modem. The problem is that each time she unplugs the modem from the phone wall jack, it fails to connect after plugging it back in, returning a 608 error (no dial tone). It happened a while ago when she dismantled her system to change out the computer desk and we assumed the modem went bad (it's at least 4 years old). Bought a new external USB-to-dialup modem and this quit working very soon afterwards (after being unplugged and plugged back in). We replaced it with a US Robotics internal modem. She unplugged the modem and PC from the wall outlets to protect it against a severe lightning storm this week. When she plugged it back in, she gets the same 608 error (no dial tone) AGAIN. We've obviously checked the phone line and it works fine with a telephone. And, I tested the modem/PC at my home and got the same error. I'm thinking that it is not the modem itself, but rather a setting that seems to be lost when she unplugs.

I would greatly appreciate any input that can help us find the root cause of this problem. Dialup is her only option, so she's offline until we get this fixed. All the common telephony/modem settings seem to be in order.

Thanks,
Kara

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:45 PM

Plug a phone into the line and pick it up. Do you get a clean dial tome immediately or do you get a series of beeps first indicating voice mail?
If she has a voice mailbox try clearing out the mailbox

Also you might try adding a couple of commas before the phone number dialed to cause a delay in dialing. Possibly the modem is attempting to dial too quickly and it does not have a dial tone yet.

Edited by Eyesee, 26 July 2011 - 05:51 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users