Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Saving Thunderbird email folders

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

I debated where to post this, but it seems to be "Linux specific" in my case, so I am posting it here. I am using Ubuntu 11.04 and Thunderbird 5.0.

I've learned from past experience that if I get too bold trying new stuff on my Ubuntu system and manage to "trash" it, that I lose all my Thunderbird folders. I've gotten into the habit of forwarding any emails that I don't want to lose to one of my web-based emails ( Yahoo or Gmail ). But then...... I don't always think to do that, and just put them in a folder.

I Googled about it, but haven't found an answer. One thing I did find - folders in Evolution can be saved in Ubuntu-One ( of which I have an account ), but I couldn't find anything about Thunderbird.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks, Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:31 PM

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1255583

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the link Ramchu. after sorting down through the information, I did find my folders, but they were grayed out and I couldn't do anything with them.All the folders I save emails in are subfolders of inbox - I wonder if that's causing the problem?

#4 Alex_B

Alex_B

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:09 AM

I did just that only a week ago. You can transfer your entire settings, including emails, filters, etc. onto any other computer. Open the terminal, type in
cd ~
tar cvjf emails.tar.bz2 .thunderbird
This should create a tar archive with everything thunderbird needs to know. If you then want to revert to the point at which you made the backup, you just have to extract this tar file back into the ~/.thunderbird folder. If you do that every few days or just before you do something critical, you will always have an up to date backup of all settings and all emails. Let us know how it goes. If the tar file doesn't magically appear in your home folder, look out for any error messages in the output and post them here.

Edited by Alex_B, 27 July 2011 - 01:10 AM.

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:35 AM

Alex_B - That worked perfectly for me. Thank you very much.

#6 Alex_B

Alex_B

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

Glad to hear! You are welcome.

#7 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

Hi, I just wanted to add some information to this thread.

I have a Ubuntu One account on my Ubuntu system, so I just wanted to try something. I see that Ubuntu One doesn't upload items from the home folder, so I moved my TB backup folder to documents, and now, when in TB, every time I drag an email into a folder Ubuntu One uploads it 'to my personal cloud'.

So, if I understand this correctly, if I not only crash my TB, but also my entire OS - all my information will still be available with Ubuntu One?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users