Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Product key

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 chris1058

chris1058

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

Okay, new to this forum, so be gentle.
I have just installed a copy of Windows 7 Professional on my Compaq Presario C700, which was previously running Vista. Let me just say that I love 7... But I digress...
Turns out, it was an OEM copy, and I don't have a product key. It was given to me just before I deployed, and I didn't ask any questions. All I knew, is that unwanted Vista off my laptop.
I installed 7 about 2 weeks ago, skipped over the product key part, and now it's asking me for a product key, telling me that in 18 days my laptop is going to do something short of self destruct. I've contacted Microsoft, they are little help. They wanted to sell me 7 for $300.
I've finally gotten this laptop running the way I want it after 4 years, and I'd like to be able to continue to use it.
Let me just say this before I get any of the standard answers:
- I don't know where the copy came from, it was a gift.
-I've tried all of the standard " find the product key" downloads. They found me one, it's a default, and doesn't work.

Any help that can be provided I would appreciate. Maybe this is Karma for me not being a little more cautious.

Thanks.

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

I've tried all of the standard " find the product key" downloads.

Let me be gentle.

It doesn't matter that the copy of Windows 7 was a gift. If you try to enter ANY product key that wasn't legally purchased where you have a key accompanying the software, you are committing piracy and that is stealing.

Microsoft did help you by trying to keep you out of jail. Would you get caught? Who knows, but you will not receive a product key here.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me, or any other moderator.

Regards,
rigel
BC Global Moderator

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users