Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Menu item disappeared

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Silverbak

Silverbak

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

Several days ago I went to use the context menu to set an internet picture as the desktop background, but to my surprise the menu item "Set as desktop background" was missing.

Recently I switched from Firefox to Chrome. Neither of these browsers have the option in the context menu.

I am running XP Home, SP2.

My internet searches on the matter have been unsuccessful. Any suggestions as to how to reinstate this feature would be most appreciated.

Edited by Silverbak, 26 July 2011 - 12:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

Try a different picture. I just tried it and I got the option on some pics but not others.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 Silverbak

Silverbak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:14 PM

Hello Strolin,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried many photos on several websites with both browsers, but I did not get the "Set as desktop background" option.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by Silverbak, 26 July 2011 - 08:15 PM.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:17 PM

Hello,

I would try on internet explorer just to see if it shows up there, also I noticed that you are running on SP2 which is outdated, I would suggest you update to SP3. :)

Edited by computerxpds, 26 July 2011 - 08:18 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 Silverbak

Silverbak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:20 AM

Hello Computerxpds,

Good suggestion! Internet Explorer has a menu item "Set as background." However, since I am not a fan of IE, how to I get this menu item in Chrome or Firefox? (I know for a fact it was in Firefox)

Re SP3. I have done a bit of hand wringing about this because, to this day, I read horror stories about installing SP3. These kind of problems I don't need. What do I have to gain for taking the risk? I have read that an up-to-date SP2 is probably as good as SP3. Thoughts, please.

Thanks

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:20 AM

Re SP3. I have done a bit of hand wringing about this because, to this day, I read horror stories about installing SP3. These kind of problems I don't need.
What do I have to gain for taking the risk? I have read that an up-to-date SP2 is probably as good as SP3.

Hi -
First you are missing all the updates and security patches that come with SP3 . Many of these are important {you may as well run Windows 98 and not XP}.
Security updates and patches are not given for SP2 (about 30 or 40 missing) plus the system is actually more stable once SP3 is installed and patched.
I use I.E 99% of the time, and with a fully updated system there are almost NO problems. Also always use a good Antivirus and always keep it updated

"Several days ago I went to use the context menu to set an internet picture as the desktop background, but to my surprise the menu item "Set as desktop background" was missing."

Because you are using SP2 and not the updates from SP3. Also are you using I.E. 8 or still on I.E. 6 or 7.
You must add all these updates for all the modern items to perform properly. Also do you have the updated version of Firefox, or an old version running.

Thank You -

#7 Silverbak

Silverbak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

Hello Noknojon,

Thank you for your reply re SP3.

Concerning your response"

"Because you are using SP2 and not the updates from SP3."

If I correctly interpret your response, you are saying the reason the menu item in the context menu disappeared is because I am using SP2, and not SP3. Please note that the "Set as desktop background" menu item was present for a very long time, and during that time I was using SP2. It is difficult for me to understand how the lack of using SP3 would suddenly cause the menu item to disappear.

"Also are you using I.E. 8 or still on I.E. 6 or 7."

As I mentioned in my previous entry, the menu item is present when I use IE. It is not present within Chrome or Firefox.

"Also do you have the updated version of Firefox, or an old version running."

I am running Firefox 4.0.1

Although the comments re SP2 vs. SP3 are appreciated, my main goal is to find a way to get the "Set as desktop background" reinstated on the Chrome and Firefox context menu.

Thanks.

Edited by Silverbak, 27 July 2011 - 04:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users