Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Code 10 Nightmares

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shiday

shiday

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:04 AM

It seems to happen very often, in the device manager is "Code 10- this device cannot start"

I am a computer tech and have not only seen this on many customers pcs but also on one of mine.

Examples;

One of my pcs has the code 10 problem on the network card (both onboard and a pci card) and no matter what is done, no use of the network card is possible. I have uninstalled/reinstalled windows, tried different known good cards, and a multitude of other things to no prevail.

Another example of this is a customers computer that has "Code 10- this device cannot start"
on their sound card in the device manager. I talked to them and he said that Dell has been out to his house and has swapped out motherboards and everything and the problem still comes back.

SO WHY AM I BRINGING THIS UP??

I have not ever seen a correct fix or reference to a fix for this problem. All of Microsoft's knowledge base articles have been a bunch or rambling bs like "follow the built in windows troubleshooter" I might as well let the neighbors dog do the troubleshiooting than follow that damn thing.....

I want to know if any one has heard of a corrective measure for all of this......... or share your Code 10 nightmares

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:21 AM

I assume you have updated the drivers for the affected devices.

Code 10 seems to be assigned to driver problems.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:37 AM

Have you look at the "Event Viewer" in the "Administrative Tools"? Sometimes this will give you a clue. Also the new driver may not be the best. If the current driver causes or has an issues try and older driver.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:57 AM

Code 10 is a sortof "generic" error - it doesn't give any info, it just tells you what you already know!

Here's a link to Device Manager error codes:
http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/install/troubleshoot_806f.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...jk_dec_lgsc.asp

Then it just becomes a process of troubleshooting the device drivers and settings that could affect this.

For a NIC, I'd start with ensuring that it's enabled in the BIOS, then check it in Device Manager. Also, as acklan said, check the Event Viewer for clues. Update the NIC card drivers, then update the chipset drivers - in very, very severe cases you might even try flashing the BIOS. Check your connections, check that the card "fingers" are clean and that the slot that it's in doesn't have an 'fuzz" inside it. Try installing another one and see if it works. Try moving it to another slot and see if that works.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 shiday

shiday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:05 PM

thanks for the responses, i have checked the contacts on the pci nic and it is not isolated to only that netowork card, the onboard one has the same problem.

If anyone else could possibly help please do. i have a pc that just has to sit unused because of the code 10 on the network cards

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:27 PM

Have you disabled the onboard NIC?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:50 PM

If the problem occurs with both NIC's, first I'd try disabling any "Network Bridge" that may exist on the system.

Then, try installing the drivers for the one that's enabled (ensuring that the other is disabled).

Past that, I'd start suspecting the motherboard. Make sure that the chipset drivers are updated. If that's ok, then I'd suspect a physical problem with the mobo.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users