Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

creating a home VoIP @ home using an old computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 one2treefor5

one2treefor5

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:49 AM

Hi! I have this 8 year old computer that is collecting dust. So I tought about just turning it into a phone server. Is there a good how-to guide and low-cost on this personal project of mine? Thanks again

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 one2treefor5

one2treefor5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

I almost forgot: I can do either Windows or Ubuntu. Thanks.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:04 AM

Take a look here: Asterisk@Home Handbook

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 one2treefor5

one2treefor5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the link. I will going to give it a try.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

Haven't tried it myself, but was talking to a friend about it a while back and thats what he was looking at too. Good luck. Let us know how it works out or what you eventually make work for you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 one2treefor5

one2treefor5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

This will be my first attempt. I did take a quick look on Asterisk, and I am glad that this computer is compatible. But I need an additional device to plug in my phone. Iím thinking of asking my boss for some old telephony card. But if I canít get it from him, can I purchase cheap ones online?

#7 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

This article in Maximum PC will help http://www.maximumpc.com/article/how-tos/how_build_your_own_home_phone_server

#8 one2treefor5

one2treefor5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

Thanks diggi!! I've been over a month looking for a good and cheap adapter. I'm going to order this and see if I can do this at home.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:07 PM

You know...that's an awful lot of heat and electricity to be using on a daily basis...in lieu of a simple VoIP device...to get the same result.

I understand the urge to put the system to some use...but there are other considerations, IMO.

Louis

#10 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:51 PM

Thanks diggi!! I've been over a month looking for a good and cheap adapter. I'm going to order this and see if I can do this at home.

:thumbup2: Let us know how it goes

#11 one2treefor5

one2treefor5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

Sorry I've been procrastinating with this project. I have the asterisk disc, but I still didnt even formatted my old computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users