Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't load Windows

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Rachael1

Rachael1

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:00 AM

I have an old Acer Aspire laptop with XP, and recently the black light went so the screen didn't work. I took it to a repair place and they told me they could fix the backlight as well as the power cable jack, which was loose.

So I went to collect it today, and the guy told me in basic English (I live in Bucharest) that something was wrong with the motherboard too which he couldn't fix. He then showed me the problem, which is this:

When you start the computer, it goes to a black screen which says:
"We apologise for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this."
You can the choose whether to start in Safe mode, last known good configuration, or normally.

Choosing "start WIndows normally" takes you to the screen with the logo and the 'loading' bar, then it goes to another screen for a milisecond (so fast you can't read anything), then it goes back to the first screen, saying again "We apologise for the inconvenience...".

You can start it in safe mode with no problems, but I don't really know what to do with safe mode!

Anyway, then the computer repair guy repeats that it's a problem with the motherboard, and when I say that it didn't do this when I brought it in, he just says, 'sorry, no charge for the other repairs' (meaning the backlight and the jack) and hustles me out the door!

I can't see that he deliberately did something because he offered not to charge me, losing out on about 40. I think he accidentally did something, or something accidentally happened, and he felt bad so didn't charge me.

So, any ideas what I can do? Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:07 AM

When you say it goes to another screen for a millisecond, is it a blue screen?

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,600 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:11 AM

If it was the mobo it probably would not boot to safe mode. In safe mode go to System Properties - Advanced - Startup & Recovery Settings and uncheck "Automatically Restart". Then reboot. Do you see a blue screen error? If so, post the entire contents here.

#4 Rachael1

Rachael1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

Yes, it is, with writing filling about half the screen.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,600 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

If it was the mobo it probably would not boot to safe mode. In safe mode go to System Properties - Advanced - Startup & Recovery Settings and uncheck "Automatically Restart". Then reboot. Do you see a blue screen error? If so, post the entire contents here.

We posted at the same time - please do as suggested above

#6 Rachael1

Rachael1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

Yes, there's a blue screen error which says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: Apfiltr.sys

DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000CE (0xF7B52092,0x00000000,0xF7B52092,0x00000000)

Apfiltr.sys

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,600 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

It's possible the shop installed an incompatible driver.

Do you have an XP CD? If so, are you prepared to start from scratch (that's really your best bet)? If not, we can try a repair install and then uninstall or replace all drivers in safe mode, but it's really easier and better to just do a clean install. What do you say?

#8 Rachael1

Rachael1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:51 AM

I don't have an XP CD (the computer was bought second hand many moons ago) but I do have a Windows 7 CD, as I bought a new laptop recently.

However, I'd ideally like to keep this old laptop on XP, so if possible, could we try the repair install method? Unless you strongly advise otherwise...

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,600 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

You would need the XP CD for a repair install too.

Okay, try this. Boot to safe mode, then do a selective startup:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs. If it's a driver, as I expect it is, let's identify it and we'll go from there.

Edited by Allan, 26 July 2011 - 10:53 AM.

#10 Rachael1

Rachael1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for your help!

Under selective startup, I found four boxes, not three, which were: Process SYSTEM.INI File, Process WIN.INI File, Load System Services, Load Startup Items

I unchecked them all and rebooted, but the problem still occurs.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,600 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

Okay. Well, if I'm right it's an incompatible driver but if I'm wrong I guess it could be a hardware issue - though I doubt it.

Please boot to safe mode and do the following:

1) Go to the Acer website and download all drivers for your laptop

2) Install the chipset driver first, then all other appropriate drivers

3) Download and install the latest version of Direct-X for your system (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35)

reboot to regular mode if possible or safe mode if not and then

4) Open device manager (start - run - devmgmt.msc) and look for any yellow or red symbols. Do you see any?

If this doesn't work you may be relegated to a new install, though I doubt your system will handle Windows 7 if it is an old system. And again - we can't rule out a hardware issue.

#12 Rachael1

Rachael1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

Thanks - stupid question though: How do you connect to the internet in safe mode? I started the computer in safe mode +networking, but I can't see anywhere my already-set-up broadband connection. When I go to control panel - network connections, there's nothing there. I try to set it up from scratch using the wizard, but it tells me my connection should already be configured! Which it is! But any sign of it has disappeared!

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,600 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

If you can't connect to the internet on that system just download the drivers on another system and copy them to the laptop

#14 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

quote name='Rachael1' timestamp='1311700656' post='2348589']
Thanks - stupid question though: How do you connect to the internet in safe mode? I started the computer in safe mode +networking, but I can't see anywhere my already-set-up broadband connection. When I go to control panel - network connections, there's nothing there. I try to set it up from scratch using the wizard, but it tells me my connection should already be configured! Which it is! But any sign of it has disappeared!
[/quote]
you could select Safe Mode With Networking (on boot start up) to connect to internet but you need a LAN connection not dial up/modem connection.

[quote name='Rachael1' timestamp='1311694118' post='2348519']
Yes, there's a blue screen error which says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: Apfiltr.sys

DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000CE (0xF7B52092,0x00000000,0xF7B52092,0x00000000)

Apfiltr.sys
[/quote]
do you know how to disassemble your laptop?
if yes, first you need to try to update your touchpad driver, if update your touchpad driver fix your problem that means your problem only driver, if not you need to disassemble your laptop and reconnect your Touchpad Cable.

Edited by abauw, 26 July 2011 - 02:17 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#15 -KFS

-KFS

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

Use the knife Bennet, oh, I mean the other PC with Windows 7!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users