Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't run system file checker (SFC)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ket

Ket

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:18 AM

Hi. I cannot run SFC on Windows XP sp3. I get the following message on cmd: Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable].

I am trying to do a SFC /SCANNOW. The version is 5.1.2600
I tried also on safe mode or to run sfc.exe directly from system32 but it didn't work. Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

Why...are you trying to run sfc /scannow?

System manufacturer and model?

What disc are you inserting from which files will be drawn?

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296241 AND http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-sfc-error-0x000006ba-rpc-unavailable/

Louis

#3 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:34 PM

Hi again and thank you. I am reviving my bother's old PC that was infected with several trojans and other malware, some stupid toolbars were also installed. I have cleaned it which involved some registry interference and so I'd like to make sure that "things" are back to place. In my girlfriend's netbook that also has XP, sfc /scannow is a very easy thing to do as it does not require any disk.
After following the instructions of the second link you kindly posted I was able to start the process, but then I stumbled on the issue that I don't have the disk (it asks for sp2). As I said I have sp3 update already installed.
Somewhere I read that I may be able to do it with a folder named i386 but after a quick search, I found several folders with that name on the PC (see image below). Which one am I suppose to use?

Unfortunately I don't know manufacturer. There is an MSI multimedia sticker in front of the tower.

Posted Image

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,469 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

<<...was infected with several trojans and other malware, some stupid toolbars were also installed. I have cleaned it which involved some registry interference and so I'd like to make sure that "things" are back to place...>>

Well...depending on the malware involved, there is no such thing as "cleaning"...some malware call for a clean install. I might also mention that every day...we have users assert that they have "cleaned" infected systems, only to find that the system is still infected. Before I undertook what might be an extensive waste of time...I think that I would initiate a topic at Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html .

Using sfc /scannow...will not correct registry entries that are damaged or missing.

Lastly...there are some problems that occur as the result of malware and attempts to neutralize such...that will not be overcome by running sfc /scannow or attempting a repair install. Not all problems with a system...are file problems.

You might read http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html AND http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html , as well as other links on this command which are available via Google.

I've found that it's best to have the XP install disk, rather than rely on some of the edits suggested as working to ensure that sfc /scannow performs properly.

Louis

#5 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for the interesting information. The PC works fine as it is, so I wouldn't like to start any "deep operation". I have also a laptop with windows 7 and to run sfc is an easy task. I thought it would be the same on XP. Apparently it is not. Both the links you posted mention that one can run sfc from folder i386, but they assume there is only one folder with that name. If anyone could assert which one is the right one (from the list I posted before) I may go for it.

Otherwise, can I use any XP installation CD? Does it have to be sp2 (this is what I'm being asked) or sp3 (this what it is installed)?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,469 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

Think of it this way...the system has files which are updated through a given date...to use any resource for file replacement that does not include those same files...well, I think you get the idea that problems might ensue.

That's my opinion and that's the way I've always approached it...that doesn't mean that I'm correct or that problems will always result...I just like to eliminate the possibility.

With a repair install (virtually the same as running sfc /scannow in termss of result), a user definitely will have problems if he/she uses a CD which has files which are not current with those installed on the system.

There is a way to update an XP CD, Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/ . Many of us have updated our XP CDs in this manner...so that it includes SP3.

Louis

#7 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:33 AM

What you say makes sense hamluis. I am also wondering why the PC asks me for sp2 disk when I have sp3 installed. I am not going to risk it then to run sfc because it may create a problem when there isn't one.

But I am wondering what am I supposed to do in the future if sfc is really needed to run? Which disk should I use? My XP installation disk is probably before even sp2 update was installed. Whatever I create now might be already corrupted considering that on this idea I wanted to initially to run sfc.

And once more, can I use any xp sp3 disk or it has to be the one used when xp were installed on the PC (without of course losing my files and/or programs)?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,469 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

If you have SP3 installed on the system...read the instructions for creating an updated XP CD...do that...and you have a match between what the system reflects and your XP install CD reflects.

No problems in the future running a repair install, a clean install, or sfc /scannow :).

Louis

#9 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:08 AM

Thanks a lot Louis. I'll do that as soon I as I get some time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users