Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internal modem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 s.h.

s.h.

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:38 AM

I'm on dial-up and have an internal modem. I usually dial in at 26.4 kbps. This past week I'm only dialing in at 14.4 or 12 kbps. I called the internet provider and they said it was the phone company. But if you call the phone company, all they care about is if you have a dial tone (which I do). Who is right? Could my modem be going out? Also when I dial in for the first time it tells me there is no dial tone when I know there is. I have to unplug the phone line from the computer and then plug it back in and then it will let me dial in. If you get high speed service, do you still need an internal modem? I know nothing of high speed obviously. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:45 AM

Broadband/high-speed internet...requires either a cable modem or a DSL modem, depnding on whether you have cable or DSL.

These items are external and are supplied by the ISP...or a user can buy her/his own (at times). Broadband service may also require the use of a script or program provided by the ISP...to enable service.

If a user employs broadband, there is no reason to use or enable the internal dialup modem...I disable mine in the BIOS/Setup.

Louis

#3 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:36 AM

I'm on dial-up and have an internal modem. I usually dial in at 26.4 kbps. This past week I'm only dialing in at 14.4 or 12 kbps. I called the internet provider and they said it was the phone company. But if you call the phone company, all they care about is if you have a dial tone (which I do). Who is right? Could my modem be going out? Also when I dial in for the first time it tells me there is no dial tone when I know there is. I have to unplug the phone line from the computer and then plug it back in and then it will let me dial in. If you get high speed service, do you still need an internal modem? I know nothing of high speed obviously. Thanks.

You won't need that dial up modem, but as Hamluis said you will need the appropriae Modem, and a Lan connection port on the computer.
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users