Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shre

shre

• Banned
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:53 PM

avast! is my favourite it has a very strong web shield and network shied and also a file system shield which proactively blocks and quarintines any malcious files that are sitting on your hard drive......less false positives than any other antivirus.

what do u people think about it?isnt it great?

regards,
shre.

Edited by shre, 25 July 2011 - 11:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:28 AM

Yes. It is fantastic.:thumbsup:

#3 BrendanT

BrendanT

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:11 AM

Free wise i prefer Microsoft Security Essentials, but paid for i prefer Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection and Kaspersky :)

Havn't really played around with Avast! tbh.

-BrendanT

Edited by BrendanT, 26 July 2011 - 04:11 AM.

-BrendanT

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:26 AM

I've used the free Avast for some years without any reason to complain.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:11 AM

I use NOD32 on my machine because I received a free license for it otherwise avast would be my choice. I have used avast free on my wife and daughter's computers for several years without encountering any serious issues so I recommend it often.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 EGudz

EGudz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

Was using Microsoft Security Essentials just up until the other day when it just let the Blue Flare malware just pass right thru. Am now running Avast Internet Security and really like it , no performance hits that I can notice and really easy to use and configure.

#7 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:17 AM

I'm going to switch to Avast, having been a long time fan of Avira free because of its superior detection rates, but the Ask toolbar affiliation and advertisements promoting scareware such as Uniblue are steps too far for me (both products, incidentally, that Avira previously detected as malware). Although, theoretically, installing the Ask toolbar is optional, with the latest version it is not possible to get webguard unless the Ask toolbar is installed. I also noticed Gizmo Freeware have demoted Avira from first to third place on their best free anti virus list for the same reasons.

Like EGudz I also had problems with Microsoft Security Essentials. It allowed the Clean This virus straight through as if it wasn't there.

Avast for me, for now anyway.

Edited by n01paranoid, 31 July 2011 - 01:07 PM.

#8 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:07 PM

+1 Avast

#9 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

Avast is a good program, but its official download link (which redirects to CNet's Download.com) ends up downloading a second file without your permission along with the file you wanted to download. In my case, it downloaded a file named combofix.exe that was detected as malware. I don't know if it was really ComboFix or malware, but it was downloaded after I pressed the Download button and before the Avast installer started to download. Aside from that, it is the best free antivirus software I have used. It even runs fine on my ancient computer with an extremely slow (failing) hard drive.

I don't like Microsoft Security Essentials either. I had a topic about it in this forum. It deleted entries from my custom Hosts file, even though every entry I added was known to download malware onto the computer. Its realtime scanner caused my computer to freeze for a few minutes while it scanned the file or folder I opened. It may run okay on a faster computer than mine, aside from the detection issues.

There are also some rogue antivirus installers that use fake Microsoft Security Essentials warnings to infect the computer. Clean This is one of them.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

I just checked the avast download link from the main page here, was not redirected and was able to download the setup_av_free.exe directly from the avast web site. I have been using avast on my wife's computer for years, always downloading from avast and never have been redirected.

CNET's Download.com page for avast is here. Clicking the download now button I was able to download the same setup_av_free.exe. However, you have to be careful using CNET and similar download hosting sites because the use heavy advertising. Clicking on the incorrect link (thinking its the one you want) often results in downloading a program the user did not intend to download. Further, CNET does not host a download for ComboFix.exe so if it was downloaded the file came from elsewhere and may have been a malicious file using the same name.

The legitimate ComboFix file is not malware. However, certain embedded files that are part of legitimate programs or specialized fix tools such as Combofix may at times be detected by some anti-virus and anti-malware scanners as a "Risk Tool", "Hacking Tool", "Potentially Unwanted Program", or even "Malware" (virus/trojan) when that is not the case. This occurs for a variety of reasons to include the tool's compiler, the files it uses, whether files are compressed or packed, what behavior it performs, any registry strings it may contain and the type of security engine that was used during the scan. Other legitimate files which may be obfuscated, encrypted or password protected in order to conceal itself so they do not allow access for scanning but often trigger alerts by anti-virus software.

Such programs have legitimate uses in contexts where a Malware Removal Expert asked you to use the tool or when an authorized user/administrator has knowingly installed it. When flagged by an anti-virus or security scanner, it's because the program includes features, behavior or files that appear suspicious or which can potentially be used for malicious purposes. Compressed and packed files in particular are often flagged as suspicious by security software because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These detections do not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program.

It means it has the potential for being misused by others or that it was simply detected as suspicious or a threat due to the security program's heuristic analysis engine which provides the ability to detect possible new variants of malware. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. In these cases the detection is a "false positive".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 techdragon2

techdragon2

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

Switched from MSE to Avast! about a week ago and I am loving it :) definitely my new recommended Free AV.

#12 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

I just checked the avast download link from the main page here, was not redirected and was able to download the setup_av_free.exe directly from the avast web site. I have been using avast on my wife's computer for years, always downloading from avast and never have been redirected.

CNET's Download.com page for avast is here. Clicking the download now button I was able to download the same setup_av_free.exe. However, you have to be careful using CNET and similar download hosting sites because the use heavy advertising. Clicking on the incorrect link (thinking its the one you want) often results in downloading a program the user did not intend to download. Further, CNET does not host a download for ComboFix.exe so if it was downloaded the file came from elsewhere and may have been a malicious file using the same name.

The legitimate ComboFix file is not malware. However, certain embedded files that are part of legitimate programs or specialized fix tools such as Combofix may at times be detected by some anti-virus and anti-malware scanners as a "Risk Tool", "Hacking Tool", "Potentially Unwanted Program", or even "Malware" (virus/trojan) when that is not the case.

I downloaded Avast on April 22, and the download link went directly to CNET. It is good to see Avast hosting the file on their own server.

Norton detected combofix.exe as Trojan.ADH and immediately quarantined it.

#13 Kaerfca

Kaerfca

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:25 AM

I highly recommend avast!. So far it's been great, hasn't had any problems, and does an amazing job keeping my PC safe. I love it a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users