Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC freezes, then crashes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 larkev

larkev

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

My computer freezes after about 15-20 minutes, then crashes.

When it restarts, a little window pops up with very few unrecognizable characters in the top left corner, or along the top. There's an "OK" button in the middle that has to be pressed in order for the computer to carry-on through the reboot process to the start-up.

Also, after the computer starts-up, an error message arises. The prompt to send the error message comes up too, and when I click on it, I Internet explorer opens-up a Microsoft error reporting page that says something about my video card driver needing an update. I've looked into updating it, but there are no updates. I've also looked at my video card. At first, I discovered that my video card settings had somehow switched to the default Nvidia but I switched it back to the AMD Radeon one. Still, the problem persists.

I've checked my computer for malware, viruses, etc., and everythings seems clean. Also, I deleted big and unnecessary programs that take-up lots of space. Again, the computer continues to freeze and crash.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

<<Also, after the computer starts-up, an error message arises.>>

Please post the exact content of the error message that pops up.

Louis

#3 larkev

larkev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

Address a problem with your video device driver
You received this message because a hardware device in your computer caused Windows to shut down unexpectedly and restart. This is a serious problem, commonly referred to as a "stop error" or "blue screen."

There are two things you can try to solve the problem. If the first option doesn't work, then try the second.

Install the most current device driver for your video card

Use Windows Update to check for and install updates.

Click to go online to the Windows Update website

Click Custom to check for available updates.

In the left pane, under Select by Type, click Hardware, Optional. Select the updates for your video device driver, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Updates.

Note
We recommend that you install all High-Priority updates. These updates improve your computer's security and stability.

Notes

If there are no updated drivers listed by Windows Update, we recommend you contact the manufacturer of the video card for additional support. Let them know that you received an error for your video device driver and ask if product updates are available.

If there are no updated drivers from Windows Update and you don't know the name of the video card manufacturer, we recommend you contact your computer manufacturer for additional information and support.

How do I find my computer manufacturer?

Click Start, click Run, type msinfo32, and then click OK. Your computer manufacturer is listed as the System Manufacturer in the right pane of the System Information window.

Click to go online to see contact information for most computer manufacturers
What is a driver?

A driver is software that allows your computer to communicate with hardware or devices. Without drivers, the hardware you connect to your computer (for example, a video card or a webcam) will not work properly.

Manually decrease Hardware Acceleration for your video adapter

This procedure prevents the display device driver from programming the hardware incorrectly, but you might lose some display functionality and performance.

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.

Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.

Click the Troubleshoot tab, move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then clear the Enable Write Combing check box.

Click OK, and then click OK.

What is a driver?

A driver is software that allows your computer to communicate with hardware or devices. Without drivers, the hardware you connect to your computer (for example, a video card or a webcam) will not work properly.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:48 PM

Try going to Device Manager...uninstall the video drivers...reboot the system, reinstall video drivers from either CD or website of manufacturer.

If you have onboard video...but you use a physical video card, please disable the onboard video in your BIOS/Setup. A device which is disabled...cannot be used by Windows.

Louis

#5 larkev

larkev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:10 PM

I went to BIOS and found that only the PCI is enabled, not the onboard. I don't know where to find the Device Manager to uninstall all the video stuff.

#6 larkev

larkev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

I found Device Manager but there are so many things with Nvidia on them, I don't know which ones to uninstall. Also, I can't find my Radeon one to uninstall. I think I'll just go out and buy an external hard-drive, place all my photos, important files, music, and games on it, and do a System Recovery. What do you think?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

I would do...what I suggested.

But if you aren't comfortable doing that, it's still your system, not mine :).

The video drivers are always...reflected under the Display Adapters item in Device Manager.

You can disable either onboard or PCI video...in the BIOS, just as each can be enabled. If changes are made, be sure to save such by hitting F10 to exit the BIOS.

Louis

#8 larkev

larkev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

Thanks Louis,

After having received your message, I decided to go ahead and try what you had suggested. I uninstalled the video drivers, in Display Adapters under Device Manager. Both of them were identical, Radeon x1600. Then, I restarted the computer, went into BIOS, and checked to see that PCI was enabled (onboard was not selected, and so I'm assuming it is therefore disabled). Then, on startup, I loaded the ATI Catalyst software Disc that came with the Radeon x1600 but it wouldn't run at first. Then, when it was downloading, it stopped suddenly wanting me to find something - a string of numbers and letters, with the Browse button. There was no way around it. So I just went online to download the driver there. AMD claims to not have the x1600 driver anymore but that the Legacy may work. So, I downloaded the Legacy. After that was successful, the software disk began again, and it was successful too!

Then my computer crashed. When I started it, it a message came up saying:

"The system has recovered from a serious error" and "A log of this error has been created" and "Please tell Microsoft about this problem" etc., with a send error report button.

When I sent the error report, the following came up:

"Address a problem with your video device driver
You received this message because a hardware device in your computer caused Windows to shut down unexpectedly and restart. This is a serious problem, commonly referred to as a "stop error" or "blue screen."

There are two things you can try to solve the problem. If the first option doesn't work, then try the second.
Install the most current device driver for your video card
Manually decrease Hardware Acceleration for your video adapter"

So, needless to say, I feel like I'm back to square one. What would you suggest? Should I perhaps run through the whole uninstall and reinstall the video drivers, or try something else?

Cheers

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

could you go to Control Panel - Add / Remove Programs, and try to locate any program that related to your VGA driver and try to uninstall it then reboot your sytem and tell what happen on your next post.

could you give your Computer Brand and Type, does it PC or Notebook and what hardware that have you add / remove before.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:47 PM

My experiences with ATI drivers indicate:

a. Their one-driver-fits-all cards...is erroneous.

b. ATI cards which I have had typically reflected two items as drivers, reflecting dual-monitor support.

c. The best driver package (Catalyst, MS.NET, and drivers) for ATI cards...is the one which came with the card.

d. Once things get mucked up with ATI drivers...the best thing is to go through and uninstall all ATI drivers in Device Manager and in Add/Remove Programs...and then do a manual search of the registry to remove all possible interferences with a new install of the drivers. Time-consuming but worth it, IMO.

Links Worth Reviewing, IMO

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2011 - 03:49 PM.

#11 larkev

larkev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

Well, I went through and did what you advised in d. Restarting the computer went smoothly, i.e., I did not have to turn the computer off and then on again 10 times just to get something on the screen. It didn't crash when I started using multiple programs (iTunes, MSWord, iexplorer). Then, later on, last night, while watching a movie, it froze then crashed. Then again this morning, while printing out sheet music.

One thing I had noticed earlier while studying Windows Task Manager, while the computer was running, was multiple instances of iexplorer running when I only had one iexplorer window open. At least one of the iexplorers was using a large amount of CPU.

I haven't tried the other idea posted here yet. What do you think?

#12 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

does that iexplorers use over 200.000k of memory?

have you check your computer heat? processor and VGA?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:01 PM

A process reflecting iexplorer.exe...is malware.

The legitimate processes are designated iexplore.exe.

When one IE window is open, there should be two instances under Processes in Task Manager. Each new window reflects another iexplore.exe process running.

Louis

#14 larkev

larkev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:32 PM

I thought I would look at the temperature of my CPU, given that it seemed pretty high when I was in BIOS (55). I downloaded speedfan and noticed that all temperature reads are flaming hot, hovering between 55 and over 60. I also note that only fans 1 and 2 are on; fans 3 and 4 are not running.

This is probabaly why my computer is crashing. Can I turn my #3 and #4 fans on somehow?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users