Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

7B Error Then Blank Screen After XP Antivirus 2012 Removal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NBSChang

NBSChang

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:26 PM

Hello,

One of my XP Pro computers got infected with the "XP Antivirus 2012" malware. I had followed the instructions to remove a "XP Antivirus 2012" infection (Removal Procedure). After a scan and removal, Malwarebytes informed me that I needed to restart to finish cleaning the system. The restart gave me a BSOD 7B error and now it only starts up with a blinking underscore cursor in the upper left. Currently I'm running a ChkDsk /r via the repeir console. From what I've read on the Net, I'm doubtful that this will help. Could someone please give some pointers as to where to proceede from here?

Thanks!

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:59 PM

Black screen/blinking cursor is typically indicative of problem with XP boot files...I would try the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console, after chkdsk /r completes.

Before doing that...I would enter the BIOS and ensure that the hard drive is the first boot device...and no USB external drives are on.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Black screen on boot (no cursor) - Microsoft Answers - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/black-screen-on-boot-no-cursor/892d155a-aadb-4e54-8e59-edf98b0ed020

Louis

#3 NBSChang

NBSChang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:01 PM

Hi Louis,
Thank you for your response. I started to use the FIXMBR command but the tool encountered an "unusual" MBR record. I decided to stop the repair process and called DELL (which was a mistake IMHO) and they are going to replace the HDD. Do you or anyone else have an idea what else I can try before the HDD arrives?

T. I. A.

Chris

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

More info...

Dells and Fixmbr Command - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/p/19304465/19589396.aspx

Louis

#5 NBSChang

NBSChang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

Someone on that forum suggested to copy a MBR from a similar computer. Do you know how to go about doing that?

Chris

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

I don't own any Dell (or other OEM manufacturer) systems.

I honestly cannot see that an MBR from a different system...would assist you, but I'm not the smartest person in the world :). The MBR for System A...is not going to be the same as that for System B, as I understand what an MBR is. The fact that Dell employs a nonstandard boot cofiguration...doesn't make it likely that one MBR fits all Dell systems, IMO.

http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/master_boot_record.htm

Perhaps your Dell forum can provide that type of info...or an email to the person who suggested such.

Louis

#7 NBSChang

NBSChang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

Ok well I have an imaged drive from Dell. I'm just going to start from the ground up. Any further work would be more for education and experience. Thank you once again for responding and providing some pointers.

Chris

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users