Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lshaffer_69

lshaffer_69

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

So when I boot my computer and windows opens up and asks for my password my keyboard and mouse wont work. If I hit f12 it does go to the boot options.

I have a dell XPS 420 with windows 7 pro.

Things I have done:

[*]Safe-mode: didn't work
[*]System restore did not fix the problem but the mouse and keyboard worked during that process.
[*]CPU does not have ps/2 inputs.
[*]I have wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse and tried usb mouse and keyboard and it didn't work.
[*]I tried redo windows 7 but during installation I got a hardware error that stopped it.

[/list]Screen read

info:An unexpected I/O error has occurred

I ran diagnostics to no prevail.

I am just starting school for IT but obviously not taken enough classes yet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:47 PM

The error message relates to a hardware error pertaining to your computer's BIOS. Basically it is telling you that the computer is not able to reliably communicate with the hard drive. make sure you have no external devices plugged in to your computer (printers scanners Cameras etc...), there might be some drivers conflicting. You might need to remove sound card etc.. from BIOS.
NOTE: Modifying BIOS settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting

Larry D. Lawrence II
Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When the auto-scan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Input/output errors can be caused by loose connections on drives also...you might check Event Viewer for any errors denoting Disk 1, etc.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Louis

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:18 PM

Try running hard drive and memory diagnostics. Available on the F12 Boot options menu.
You can also run a whole computer diagnostic from there.

FWIW I did see this on a older Dell laptop last week. Keyboard worked up until password screen to log into windows. A fresh Reload of Win7 fixed it.

Good luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users