Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:\ Drive Space Reclamation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CrashAriMP5N2O

CrashAriMP5N2O

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hello everyone. The issue I'm bringing up is probably familiar to some of you. I have a Windows XP Home Ed. laptop and when looking at the My Computer window, there's a description to the right where you can view the details on Free Space and Total Size.

I seem to be losing about .1 GB Free Space everyday though in some days it does not change. At one time, I lost about 1.4 GB of free space in one day and I didn't even install or download anything. I did a little bit of research and I found that common problems that result in losing space have something to do with System Restore and the restore point files it creates.

I'm running Malwarebytes at this time to see if there are any viruses or malware. So far it has detected none (and I doubt there would be since I scan regularly). During the scan I see a lot of stuff in the C:\System_Volume_Information\ folder and I'm assuming these are the system restore points that System Restore created.

I just need verification that this logic is correct and if there's help I can get in configuring my System Restore settings and whatnot. Also would you recommend me getting and running CCleaner? I seem to come across this clean-up tool during my research. Thanks for the coaching.

Edited by CrashAriMP5N2O, 25 July 2011 - 03:19 PM.

Posted Image
"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind!"
~SS~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:25 PM

You can go to disk cleanup and delete all but the most recent restore point. You can then go to System Properties - system restore and change the disk space available for system restore.

#3 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:37 PM

Also would you recommend me getting and running CCleaner? I seem to come across this clean-up tool during my research.

ccleaner will recover limited space, mostly in the temporary internet files.
the temp files also reside in temporary internet files\content.ie5.
for all the users on the pc, you can include their temp files, under custom files.
be sure to analyze only, if you're unsure.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:42 PM

Sorry - I missed that part of the question. I'm not a fan of ccleaner. It doesn't do anything you can't do yourself.

#5 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

that's ok, i'm familiar with using it, so i though i'd answer.
also, it can make a chosen number of passes to delete the files.
it can wipe free space. it can pinpoint registry errors, and go
directly to the entry in regedit (to clean it manually).
ccleaner lists startups and deletes restore points:
delete restore points
it's very handy.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:09 PM

I'm familiar with the utility and I really didn't mean to start a side discussion in this thread. A lot of people like it and recommend it. I just happen not to be one of them.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

Investigative tool, WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html .

SR, hibernation, and the browser cache...all typical items which increase in size through use.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users