Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Association problem after virus removal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alyssaleah

alyssaleah

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:20 PM

I am trying to fix my parents Dell Inspiron 9300 running Windows XP Home Edition. They had a virus on it but I walked them through getting off using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot Search and Destroy but they are still have an issue. I am not sure what the virus was because they had already removed it, but now whenever I try to open a program on the computer, the "open with" window comes up saying "Choose the program you would like to use to open this file:" If I try to open Help, I get a message saying "help.exe application not found." I am able to get the control panel open.
I did some research on my own and found this http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm as a possible solution. I downloaded it to another computer and got it to run off a flash drive on the broken one but it did not solve the problem. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

Can you tell us what virus they had, and can you have them send you the log so that we can look at it, or if you have access to the machine post it here.

#3 alyssaleah

alyssaleah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

I don't know the name of the vius because it was already one when I got here. Here is the MBAM log- is that what you mean?
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.0.1200
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6790

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 (Safe Mode)
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512

6/6/2011 11:09:45 PM
mbam-log-2011-06-06 (23-09-45).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 290871
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 16 minute(s), 58 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 3
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:50 PM

Please update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users