Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to prevent just a given directory from being deleted?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:17 PM

so, last night I did one of the classic "muscle memory bites you in the rump" screwups, and killed the directory my downloads wind up in. already went and did my best to recover what I could. now, I'm looking to try to prevent the same screwup from happening again; and I'm wondering if there's some relatively simple means of preventing the directory itself from being deleted by mistake, without locking it's contents against deletion (since that would be a nuisance when moving stuff out of it/ditching things from it). it's not as though I'll have a need to totally purge it at a level that can't be satisfied by going into it and hitting select all, then deleting.

so yeah um... suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

I would take a different approach...and just make routine backups of the system...for those times when mistakes are made or problems develop.

I don't use System Restore...but isn't it predicated on situations such as yours?

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

What kind of downloads are we talking about?

#4 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

like, anything I download that's not an image. (those go elsewhere for easier sorting). game client installers, anything archived, windows stuff from MS that's not handled by windows update (like XNA studio dll packages and whatnot), new versions of the MVPs HOSTS file(which falls under "archived), etc.
not terribly sure why it's relevant to the question at hand.

and ham? why should I back up the whole system over one non-system critical directory? sounds like trying to fill an espresso cup with a firehose.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

So after you download these items you sort them out into different folders, or do you select where each file goes based upon the file type and use. It is relevant, so we can see what your mindset is and your logic behind the downloading of certain files.

This is what I would recommend, I would go get an external hard drive and use that to store your files on that you download. You could then disconnect it when not in use, and would make sure that it can't be accidentally deleted.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

so, last night I did one of the classic "muscle memory bites you in the rump" screwups, and killed the directory my downloads wind up in. already went and did my best to recover what I could. now, I'm looking to try to prevent the same screwup from happening again; and I'm wondering if there's some relatively simple means of preventing the directory itself from being deleted by mistake, without locking it's contents against deletion (since that would be a nuisance when moving stuff out of it/ditching things from it). it's not as though I'll have a need to totally purge it at a level that can't be satisfied by going into it and hitting select all, then deleting.

so yeah um... suggestions?

To the best of my knowledge no, you cannot do that. But if you delete the folder by accident it will be in the recycle bin so there's no real harm done.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:59 PM

That's only if you don't employ the Recycle Bin in "direct delete" mode, as I do, where items are immediately gone if I delete them :).

Same effect as emptying the Recycle Bin.

Louis

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:04 PM

That's only if you don't employ the Recycle Bin in "direct delete" mode, as I do, where items are immediately gone if I delete them :).

Same effect as emptying the Recycle Bin.

Louis

Shame on you - you should know better :)

#9 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

getting externals costs money. I already need a replacement for the one that I had fail a couple months ago, taking all my backed up everything with it, but I'm not exactly swimming in cash here.

considering that I was in the process of dealing with something that I'd downloaded, had gotten the contents of hte archive unpacked, and was instinctively going to delete the package, "use external, unplug when out of use" doooooesn't really cut the mayo.

and I seriously don't think that my mindset of logic behind downloading stuff really has anything to do with the question of whether or not it's possible to render a directory itself, but not it's contents, protected against deletion.

tried fiddling with permissions on a directory made for the purpose, but apparently permissions mean nothing. <.<

if only I could harness the ability of glitchy software, like that one utility I had that uninstalled completely BUT left it's directory and the system insisted the empty directory was in use... (used killbox to assassinate that on reboot.)

meh. on a normal basis, things do not get deleted that need not to be. it was, admittedly, stupidly late o clock when I botched and blew up that directory. I've never been a fan of the recycle bin; when I say "delete this", I expect it gone. the only problem is when I get a derpy behaviour out of vista these days. "what's that? you dragged that out of the 7z and put it in a directory other than the one the 7z was in? you must want to highlight that side of explorer! :D" *sweat* rather irritating. kind of like how vista's granting you the option of arranging files in the order you want in a given directory results in it automatically assuming you want to do that when dragging something somewhere, and kicking out of whatever sort mode you had it in.

if I had a winXP installer disc prepped for use with a machine that uses SATA like this one, I'd just have gone back to what actually worked. :/

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

I do not know what issues you are having with Vista, but in the year that I used it it never did that to me. I was always dragging stuff out of compressed files as well and it put them where I wanted and the sort order remained intact. Sounds to me like something you are using to do this task is not working as it should. When you have extracted a file from a compressed item do you have 2 explorer windows open? 1 being the compressed file itself, and the other one being where you want to extract it too? Is this a Lap top or a Desktop? If it is a lap top, then maybe you are resting your hand on the touch pad when attempting this task. I know this is has happened to me on every lap top that I have used.

#11 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:27 AM

*necromancy*
desktop. this is happening with one explorer window. extracting drag&drop style from 7zip. doesn't matter what format of archive. and the only laptop I've been near in the age of vista has been one where the touchpad can be deactivated, and generally WAS at all times because of the use of an external pointing device. (emphasis on the "was" because said laptop has keeled over and won't even POST)

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

<<and ham? why should I back up the whole system over one non-system critical directory? sounds like trying to fill an espresso cup with a firehose.>>

Just a FYI...I wasn't trying to tell you how to do what you seem to ask, just reiterating what i consider to be the basic theory behind backing up.

Do as you like :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users