Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Admin Account and Passwords

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

Hello there, Bleepsters. This is security/hacker protection related, although not AV, firewall, or privacy. I hope it's OK to post it in this forum.

I'm running Win 7 Home Premium. Should I be using the admin account, or a standard user account? (I'm the only one with physical access to this computer.) And if/when I use the admin account, should I be using a strong password, or would that not protect me much from getting hacked? I do use CIS and Windows Defender for real-time protection, but I don't think those will prevent invasion upon Windows startup, correct? Oh I'm also on DSL, not wifi or any type of network, so that safety base is covered.

Many thanks, as always!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

You should be using a regular user account with which you can use UAC to install things that require administrative rights.

#3 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

Got it. No need to use a logon password with it for security's sake? Or does it not have the option of setting a password? (I'm rather new to 7, obviously.)

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

All your accounts everywhere should be password protected. I recommend 8 to 15 characters.

A good password is one that looks like this:

h4l1f()r|D|23s

that is HallforPres

Edited by cryptodan, 25 July 2011 - 12:25 PM.

#5 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

I'll use (ry|D+0f()r|D|23s in honor of your quick and great faithful help. :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot!

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:36 PM

well edit that post so no one knows it.

#7 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

It MIGHT be a smokescreen to throw people off. :wink: Just sayin.' Thanks again.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

you are welcome

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

If you'd like some reading material in regards to your questions, here are a few suggested links:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:04 AM

No need to use a logon password with it for security's sake?

If you set a password on your account, it will also be used at logon.
That is not only interactive logon, but other types of logon too, like network logon.

You perform a network logon when you access a remote share over the network. There exists malware that will propagate via shares and even perform dictionary attacks to try to access the share.
So you are best of with a strong password.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#11 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

Thanks a lot, Quietman7 and Didier. I appreciate the advice and the links. I indeed have now created good passwords for my Windows accounts for logging on at startup.

My next question is (for anybody who may read this), I've been using "an" admin account which is the account I made when I installed 7, but not "THE" admin account, which I have disabled. Is it OK to switch what is right now my standard account to admin, and then what is right now my admin account to standard? I want to continue to use my current admin theme, libraries, and so on. I'm hoping I can do this, so I don't have to migrate everything over to the new standard account. But I want to ask a bleepin' expert first so that I don't create a lot of problems for myself.

Thank you!

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

Just keep using the account you are using. It is perfectly fine. No need to switch.

#13 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:49 PM

Ahh OK. I'm sorry that when I posted this yesterday I didn't discern between "an" admin, and "THE" admin. I was a little unclear on that myself. But I'm definitely only "an" admin AFAIK, as I do often have UAC queries pop up. Thanks for telling me that I'm safe with this time of admin account. Glad I don't have to do any troublesome switching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users