Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XFIRE removal from Browsers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dicedawg

Dicedawg

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

XFIRE should be reclassified as less than safe. After removing it with the un-installer, and rebooting, it is still in my browsers. How do I get rid of it?

DiceDawg

Pickleball Rocks!  :bananas: 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

Xfire is perfectly safe to use, and you should have paid attention to the installation prompts. I just installed it, and only installed the application not the other things it tried to install. You should remove the toolbars that it installed.

#3 Dicedawg

Dicedawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:50 PM

Well it turns out that I did not add it! So you gave me a public spanking rather than answer the question. The reason that I say it should be classified as more nefarious is that a true APP would fully unload rather than having to go to each browser to rid it off your computer. That is a pervasive tactic.

DiceDawg

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:05 PM

No, there are people who just click through the installation process of any application and install everything that comes bundled. X-Fire is still pretty safe to use. The installation process asks you several times if you want to install tool bars. I just recently installed it on my lap top. I have no tool bars or other applications loaded onto any of my browsers. If possible I will go through the installation process and create a tutorial so this sort of thing does not happen. It only adds items that the installer (being you) selected during the application installation process. Because of this topic ill create a guide on how to avoid installing the bundleware.

#5 Dicedawg

Dicedawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

The real issue is the application called "conduit" that has not released from the browsers and redirects searches through their software portal. It has installed itself such that in the Tools menus, one is given a choice of removing their games from CONDUIT, but not their CONDUIT program, even though this was removed through the uninstaller. So you might be right about Xfire (I don't use it) and I am guilty of mis-naming the source problem!
As this is a friends PC whose Grandson apparently downloaded this, I have little knowledge of who did what. Regardless of that, a persistant, sneaky and un-removable program that embeds itself into Browsers without an easy un-install is not desireable.
So you removed Xfire easily! Did it remove the logo from your home page? Did you remove Conduit from your system and Browsers?
I would be truly interested in that response after you have removed Conduit from your machine and all of your browsers. Once done, please inform me as I am having difficulty with that.

DiceDawg

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:38 PM

What you got is probably a nasty redirect Virus.

I have nothing related to conduit on my system after install X-Fire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users