Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preventing Mov Files From Opening In Browser/streaming?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 redsea

redsea

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:13 PM

I am building a website with some films in Quicktime MOV format and have noticed that when the link to the MOV file is clicked, it usually tries to play the file within the browser. The files are not really small enough for most surfers to stream (around 30-40mb), and so the browser just sits there for a long time with the Quicktime logo while loading this large video file. Some users have been confused by this and tried to click on the movie again and again, using up a lot more bandwidth than intended in the process.

I would prefer that when users clicked on the link to the MOV file, it simply downloaded it to their computer so they could continue surfing and watch it at their leisure. Is there a way to do this besides just instructing people to do the right-click "Save Link As.." option? Maybe during the encoding process? I know a savvy web user will understand what's going on, but I'd like it to work smoothly for everything.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users