Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access Acer external HDD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 herdsmann

herdsmann

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:30 AM

Morning All,
I have a problem, hope you can help...
I have an Acer external HDD, 750Gb, and I use it plugged into my PS3 to store kids programmes when the Ps3 HD is full. I wanted to add a few other movies I have converted to mpg2, but I can no longer access this drive on either of my laptops (Windows 7) It still runs runs fine on the PS3. It is of course formatted to fat32 to allow the ps3 to access it. when plugged into the laptop, I get "Disk E" rather than "Acer". When I try and access it, I get "Drive E needs reformatting"
I have tried to access it in smart mode, and from a DOS prompt. No joy.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks,

Herdsmann.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 herdsmann

herdsmann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

Sorry, that should be "Safe Mode"

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:24 AM

http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-hardware-devices/29694-fat32-under-windows-7-a.html

Are you connecting the drive...to these systems...in an "off" state? If not, I would suggest such.

Are you looking in Disk Management...to see if the drive is properly recognized? The letter assigned is unimportant and will vary, since the external will be the latest drive recognized by Windows on any system.

Louis

#4 herdsmann

herdsmann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:00 AM

Thanks for the response Louis:
This piece of magic has helped me aces and remove the files today. so I think I should be OK now - apart from where I'm going to put he 750GB that is!

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Regards,

Herdsmann

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for posting your solution, happy computing :).

Mind telling us just how you employed Test Disk? As a recovery tool...or did it repair anything that enabled access?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2011 - 08:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users