Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photoshop Cs - Warping Images To Display On Film Reel?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 redsea

redsea

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:05 PM

I am working on a web page with some films. Wanted to have some kind of graphic displaying screen captures of each film, perhaps each capture as one frame on a film reel.

It would be cool to have this reel be wavy and/or looping, but is there an "easy"-ish way to warp the captures jpgs to look realistically like they're actually frames on the film? Any plugins or standalone applications?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:13 AM

I've never used Photoshop CS so I'm not going to be able to help you much but I just wanted to clarify are these screen captures static or dynamic? i.e. are you looking for a way to distort single images to fit on the film reel graphic or are you looking for some way to fit images to the graphic as they are selected?
(I'm assuming the graphic itself would be static?)
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 redsea

redsea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:11 AM

Yeah, each screen capture I'd like to distort will just be a static gif or jpg. The final image would be a static film reel graphic with those captures warped/superimposed to look as if they were individual frames on the reel.

Hope that clears it up a little :thumbsup:

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:05 AM

I would also like an application that would accomplish the same end.

As it is, I can only "see" doing it in a 3D application;

it would mean making the screencapture a "texture"
that you would use to surface a mesh modified object
(you'd pattern after the exact video frame "template"
you envision). The shape to wrap the image/type over
would match the size and shape of your film reel graphic.

Then you'd merge and render the images into a finished
new image.

Using this free application would do it.
Not easily, at first, more than likely. :thumbsup:

http://www.blender3d.com/

I'm learning it.

I might try your experiment ... given time. :flowers:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:45 PM

Since it's all static, cunning placement of the frames should make this fairly simple.

Some ideas:
1. Use "dummy" frames with a touch of colur to look like parts of similar photos, where the film bends sharply.
2. Use the Photoshop 'deformation tool' to skew the rectangular images out of square.
3. Use the 'perspective tool' to modify an oversized image then cut the frame shape out of it.
4. Use warping software to change the images - try WinMorph it's free. Winmorph

Would you post your results? I'd like to see. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:31 PM

I just found a tutorial for doing what I think you want in Paint Shop Pro (Heh! :thumbsup: ) here:
http://patao.com/Tutorials/filmstrip_template_tag.html
Here's my result:
Posted Image
:flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 20 January 2006 - 10:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users